Thread: Twin Tables

Twin Tables

My son, starting his first year at Texas A&M, (~15 months ago) said he didn't need a table in his apartment - he could just sit at the couch and eat. I begged to differ, and decided to make him a small table. And, I "threw the line out" on facebook with my network, asking who else might want one. My son's life-long friend said he would take one too, so I doubled the recipe's ingredients (so to speak).

These are made from pine I harvested back in Sept 2001.

DSC_1028.jpg

They are 30" tall and ~27" square tops. Each has one (big) drawer.

DSC_1073.jpg DSC_1076.jpg DSC_1077.jpg DSC_1074.jpg

The drawers slide (pine on pine) between the bottom rail and an upper kicker. A little bit of canning wax makes them go slippy slidy.

I keep, in the shop, this lazy suzan jig that allows me to spin an object while I am am sanding or finishing. Quite handy. Just a 12" ball bearing ring between two pieces of MDF. Bottom MDF is longer which allows clamping it to the work surface.

I used two colors of milk paint - one is salem red and the other is barn red. Paint is from from The Old Fashioned Milk Paint company. Go read about it if you are not familiar with it.

DSC_1060.jpg DSC_1049.jpg

I silk screened a checkerboard on top with black milk paint. Turned out pretty good. Then, I used clear lacquer to topcoat them. Both recipients were very happy to receive them.

twin_tables_finished.jpg

Thanks for looking. (I have a ton more photos of the process if there is any interest)

Todd

Blog Entries
    Great looking tables and I'm sure they will get a lot of (ab)use. The first photos look kind of maroon in color but the last one with both tables looks kind of burnt orange Hope it's just the lighting.

Yes, bad lighting both cases. Here are some better pictures.

DSC_1344.jpg DSC_1377.jpg DSC_1455.jpg

The darker table is barn red, and the lighter salem red. My son (maroon wall behind him) got the barn red.

This was taken during the screening process. The screen cost $80 (I did the artwork in SketchUp and exported to PDF, had a transparency made at FedEx Office and handed it to the screen maker. (I also made the frame for the screen... now I'm wondering why it cost me $80!!! I did a lot of the work!)

DSC_1275.jpg DSC_1283.jpg

(Oh, and I also bought them both 2 chairs to go with their first piece of furniture! They were so excited. I've also since found them both a set of boxed chess pieces at antique stores.)

Nice tables. Roommates? I hope the finish holds up to beer pong. BFF doesn't seem to like the Longhorns does he!

LOL!! I guess you know the shirt then. No, not roommates, but at the time, the same school. BFF is now in Fireman school and doing very well at it. I hope he doesn't light the table to practice.

Those are awesome, Todd!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent work. Thanks for the earlier explanation too!