Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue block on face plate.

Glue block on face plate.

I'm sure every question on this topic has been asked a bajillion times here ...sorry. I did a search on the creek first, but didn't see the exact answers i was looking for.

I made a glue block for the face plate, and of course I already did something wrong but it should be ok. i drilled the hole through the center before truing up the face. I wasn't thinking that the center would find itself when truing up the face. I was off by a tiny fraction of an inch. darn. I'll have to putty that and drill again. that's not a question, just a sidebar.

First question, I used a scrap of spanish cedar left over from some furniture pieces for the glue block. Is that a good wood for a glue block? It seems good. It's light, stable, not terrible weak. I'd like to make bowls with it, I've always liked the look of spanish cedar's endgrain.

Second thing, I read that its advised to concave the center of the block a bit...does everyone do this? Just very slightly, as in almost not detectable?

Thirdly, what about end grain? What if I want to do something like another egg cup? Is the end grain to long grain glue up safe enough?

Thanks
    It's sufficiently stout..

I don't know anything about Spanish cedar, so I can't help you there. I've done a number of end grain to side grain glue ups using thick CA for small pieces with no issues... Not sure about larger projects though. I tend to make the glue block and matching surface as flat as possible erring on the side of slightly concave if I need to err... I think flat to flat is best.

I'm not sure why you drilled a hole in the glue block... Care to elaborate?

I saw a way of finding the center to glue up where you drill a hole in the center of the glue block, and a small hole in the center of the piece you are mounting. Then you use a piece of wire to get them to line up. Is there a better way to get the piece lined up on the glue block? This is really all very new to me...like today new.

John, like Keller said, the closer you can get to both surfaces being flat, the better the glue joint will hold. But if you can't get them both just right, a little concave will hold better than having a domed surface. As for drilling the small hole for alignment, that's a good idea. But even when glueing a round blank to a round waste block you can expect it to be a little off center. So I wouldn't fret the hole being slightly off. It's faster and easier to get it turned round and trued up on the lathe than wasting a lot of time with a perfectly aligned glue up.

I'll sometimes draw concentric circles on the glue block to help me center small pieces... For my stuff, close enough is good enough. I mainly use glue blocks for small hollow forms, ornaments, and collars, so I don't worry too much about making it perfectly centered. If the end to be glued is parallel with the other end of the blank, you can mark the center on the tail stock end and use the live center point to help with centering... I usually bring up the tail stock as a clamp right after I glue the piece to the glue block anyway.

I have heard some turners talk about making a glue block concave but I've never understood their reason for doing it. A glue block joint is a glue joint and both surfaces should be flat and true. I don't know why you would drill a hole in the center of the glue block unless you're using a screwchuck.

Generally speaking an endgrain to side grain joint is not a dependable glue joint.

I've used hundreds of glue blocks but never spanish cedar, but it should be okay. My method is to true up the bottom of the piece to be turned and then glue the block to it after making sure that the block surface is true and flat. Then either turn a tenon for a chuck or install a screwchuck or faceplate. I usually use med. CA glue but if time isn't a factor Titebond works well. Most glue block failures result from not using enough glue. With CA, I want to see squeezout glue.

If I do use a glue block with an endgrain piece I turn a small tenon on the piece and a corresponding hole in the glue block. That makes a good glue joint.

You do not want the glue block to be convex even a tiny bit, because the piece you glue onto it will rock, and most glues will not fill gaps, though some epoxy glues will. If you use a thick spread of CA glue, and look at it after it cures, it will be honey combed due to shrinkage as it dries. If I am gluing end grain, to a face grain glue block, I prefer the titebond, and let it sit over night. Some people will let it sit for an hour, but for me, I prep one day, and turn the next. Just safer. You can use medium or thick CA glue. I don't like to use the accelerators, so it needs to sit over night as well, so the stuff on the inside can cure. I do like some squeeze out, and some times will make an extra bead around the outside. The cedar should be okay for smaller things, but for bowls, I would want poplar, alder, or soft maple.

robo hippy

Two dead flat surfaces with a tenon on one and the mortise on the other. They will line up dead center. I would not use Spanish cedar for a glue block on any bowl of size. Too soft and will start to flex under stess. Maple is the best. I've turned a couple bowls from Spanish cedar. It turns like a soft mahogany. Nice to carve on.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I don’t use glue block a lot but when I do I make them slightly concave except for the outside edge of 3/8 – 1/2” which I make flat for the glue line. I have never had one come loose while turning. This is for CA glue. I guess I don’t trust myself to get both pieces 100% flat nor that the glue will fill the necessary area on a full concave.
    I do the same as you indicated with the hole. Mount the glue block and true it up then drill an appropriate size hole on the lathe. It is probably not worth the time if it is a one time glue block but if you leave it mounted to the faceplate and true up for future use it saves time.
    Same idea, here is a pic of the insert I used when mounting a faceplate. Just mark or leave a dimple from the tailstock and the point of the will align the faceplate to center. You can buy them for about $15 but a tiny scrap of wood and a 16p nail works fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks guys. I couldn't wait and just went ahead and turned a candlestick last night. I figured it would be a good starter turn on the faceplate. I used CA glue. I understand why having a slightly concave surface is a good idea now. If you part the piece off then maybe there is no benefit, but when I chiseled the piece off the center of the piece had no glue, making it a lot easier to get off of there.

For turning a candle stick, which is fairly long usually, I would turn a tenon on the bottom end, and chuck it up. Much better grip than a glue joint. You would have to reverse it to turn off the tenon, but that is fairly simple. You could also use a thin parting tool, and make it concave on the bottom, then sand out the tool marks.

robo hippy

....and I wouldn't trust a CA joint for a glue block. I will only use Tightbond II for glue blocks. CA, for me, isn't a strong enough bond for the stress you might place on it. But maybe I am just paranoid!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    ....and I wouldn't trust a CA joint for a glue block. I will only use Tightbond II for glue blocks. CA, for me, isn't a strong enough bond for the stress you might place on it. But maybe I am just paranoid!
    Hey Scott, I and over 400 students have used med. CA for a lot of years....works well for me. I can apply the glue and glue block and a few minutes later I or the student are turning wood. CA has had a bad rap on strength. I agree that if time doesn't matter, Titebond is a good way to go. In a class we don't have that kind of time. Nearly always, if a students blank goes flying, the glue block has broken, not the glue joint
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 01-05-2012 at 3:52 PM.

I am presently finishing out 8 vases and large bowls of box-elder. these weighed an average of 100# and some of the vases are 15-16"long. all are mounted on Good glueblocks mostly on faceplates, but several on single screw glueblocks. all were glued with thick CA. all were glued on Wet wood on the lathe. this is the only way i mount wet wood as screws waste some very pretty wood and don't hold well in end grain. these glue blocks were made of t Hard woods and trued flat on the lathe and fresh glue was used. i have probably turned 25 large and heavy vases endgrain like this with no problems. you can trust CA on large heavy pieces of wet wood--i will send pics soon.------old forester

I just can't imagine using CA for a glue block with today's prices. I get depressed with how much it costs me to use my pens, so I'll probably stick with hot glue for now.