Thread: Charts for gouge sizes?

Charts for gouge sizes?

Hi,

Do any of you folks know of any charts showing the various sizes - i.e. both cut widths and outside diameters of the full range of gouges that a wood turner might use?

I am trying to get an idea of the smallest and largest gouges available on the market.

Also am I asking the right question - does "Shank size" mean the outside diameter of the shaft of any gouge?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sean Rainaldi; 01-05-2012 at 11:49 AM.

different manufacturers measure their gouges in different places, very hard to compare apples to apples, then there is the inches to that other measuring system

Blog Entries
    If you can get your hands on the owners manual of a Tormek tts100, there's a chart with about 2 dozen grinds.
    Chcek out page 25 of this link.
    http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories...bgm-100_en.pdf
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I was wrong, here is a list of size conversions and other info: http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turn...wl_gouges.html
    Last edited by Derek Gilmer; 01-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Oh hey. Thanks for posting.

Thanks much,

So is one inch outside diameter or shank diameter about the maximum outside diameter of shafts or shanks for the vast majority of gouges?

Or maybe I should be asking a different question - who makes the fattest shanked bowl gouge? And what model, what size, etc.

Sean, check with Red Green's Brain Dead Brother , he should be able to fix you up

I have a 1/8" Spindle gouge ,and a 2 3/4 roughing gouge both are Crown.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.