Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elm Bowl

Elm Bowl

Yesterday I had a request for a couple of bowls. A friend of mine I haven't seen since high school saw one of the bowls my sister has at her place in my home town. The gal wanted to know how to contact me as she wanted two bowls. So she messaged me on face book and wanted me to make her two bowls. One she wanted larger for a fruit display bowl and one smaller for a change bowl in their walk in closet. So I got to work yesterday. Turned a Elm bowl which is 11 1/2" X 4". It has one coat of tung oil on it when the picture was taken. I put the second coat on today. Tomorrow it will get the third and final coat. This is also the first bowl I did following Vince's advice on sanding and must say he really helped me. I always had trouble with like Elm and Ash but this thing turned out extremely smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

very nice Bernie, good size to it, love your orientation

Nice looking bowl Bernie. It's sort of a shame to cover up the figure inside by filling it with fruit, but the outside figure makes up for it. I'd love for you to fill us in about your new sanding secrets. I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with the sanding process. Thanks for sharing.

Made that elm look good. Great job Bernie. Did the elm smell or was it one of the deodorized species?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

5. That is a good looking bowl, Bernie............really nice form and I like the grain figure!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Another good looking bowl. Nicely done.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wolfe View Post
    Nice looking bowl Bernie. It's sort of a shame to cover up the figure inside by filling it with fruit, but the outside figure makes up for it. I'd love for you to fill us in about your new sanding secrets. I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with the sanding process. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks again. Bob the sanding advice that Vince gave me was that sanding from 80 to 220 grit with a firm pad at around 500 rpm and light pressure. The biggest thing he told me was use a soft sanding pad from 280 to 600 grit, slow the lathe down to 100 to 200 rpm, light pressure and your drill to half speed. I was amazed at the difference in sanding. Those were the biggest tips he gave me. He told me you can't sand at the same speed with 320 as you do with 80. He told me to try slowing the lathe down by 50 rpm with each grit which means at 220 you should be around 300 to 350 rpm. Then slow it down to the 100 or 150 rpm for 280 grit up.

Bob Bergstrom: Yes Elm from around here smells big time but it is such pretty wood I just overlook it.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice looking bowl and thanks for the sanding tips. Did you have any problems with tearout?

Beautiful Bernie!!! My favorite bowl type and the wood makes it better!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks again. Greg I really don't have much of a problem with tearout. My last 2 or 3 cuts are with a sharpened conventional gouge and don't have much of a problem.

Jim I do like Elm. Around here all you hear is how ugly the tree is but boy the wood is beautiful.
    Bernie

Bernie --- Really nice bowl, great figure and pleasing deep form. Another thanks here for the sanding tips which I copied down, elm and locust give me fits for the dishing between rings during sanding.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Hi Again Bernie, Thanks for sharing your sanding tips. Like Dan, I'm copying them down and will try them out today (hopefully). I hope that the lathe speed isn't a critical factor because mine won't go slower than 550. Any additional thoughts on this? Thank you in advance.

Nice, Bernie. I love elm, just such great color and contrast.

R
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Nice looking wood & bowl. Is it my eyes, or are the pix a bit blurry?
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Very nicely done bowl, Bernie, and the elm is really nice also. I'm sure your customer will love it!