Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions on decent cooking knives?

Wustof Classic are my choice. We did not buy a set, rather went with open stock and only got the knives we really needed along with a block. No regrets.

Consider your use.

If you are a hack and stab cutter: get a softer blade, its less likely to chip. Otoh if you are more controlled, a harder edge is less likely to turn. Pro chefs usually prefer a slightly softer edge because they hone their knives a lot and have them professionally sharpened frequently and the softer edge is easier to hone fast. Home cooks are often happier with a slightly harder edge, because they use it less and thus don't have to hone as often and it doesn't need to be re-sharpened as frequently.

If you don't immediately clean/oil your blades: avoid high carbon, pick either stain resistant (takes a somewhat better edge) or stainless (more forgiving) would be your choice

Most of the metallurgy is good enough nowdays that all of the suggestions above are good. Find a handle that fits your hand, if you can try and take the knife to a cutting board before buying - cutting is different than holding. This is especially true of the chefs knife, the others less so.

I would minimally buy:
    - decent chefs knife, this is your main tool and it makes sense to spend a little more here - I don't have any suggestions in your price range not already covered.
    - cheap thin blade paring knife, no reason to get crazy here you should be able to find one under $10 (still seeing ones I'd buy for $6 or less) - maybe get two. A few years back the local Ace had some stamped stain resistant carbon ones on sale for $1 ea and I bought 6 and use them around the garage, etc.. as well
    - A fillet or boning knife, again thin blade and not overly expensive works fine here, this is a low use knife for most people
    - a cheap bread knife - but only if you make bread/rolls that need cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    machine washable handles .
    Why in the world would anyone every need a machine washable handle on even a decent Walmart knife? This isn't directed at you Jim, just wondering why it would be advertised or touted as a feature.

FYI for anyone thinking about it, don't! Handwash your knifes.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My wife uses the RADA knives and she likes them the best of all she has. They sold a simple 2 wheel sharpener with the set that works like a charm.

Wil

Global is my choice...I absolutely love them. Not inexpensive, but I'm really, really pleased. And I like the fact that they are all metal...no handle to come lose "someday".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Japanese hand made Chinese cleaver in stainless. it holds and edge a very long time and it is a nice knife. I bought a 45.00 or so hand made Japanese knife from japan woodworker that gets extremely sharp and holds it but it rusts so needs oiled.
    I bought this paring knife and it is so nice it feels great in your hand looks great and is extremely sharp and still has not needed sharpening.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Just to clarify, the Victorinox knives are not "heirloom" tools. They handle great and keep a sharp edge, but they won't draw oohs and ahhs from your guests. I have a couple global knives if I want to do that.

The global and Chicago knives I have are great, but I've become with knives how I am with shop tools. If I am going to spend top dollar, I want to buy from a craftsman in the US or Canada whose name i know and that is dedicated to the art of making that tool. There are some very talented individuals around making some wonderful handmade kitchen knives. The next expensive knife I buy will come from one of those shops.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    +1 for Victorinix Fibrox chef's knife and 2 of their paring knives, add a bread and a filet and you should cover most things.
    +2. The Fibrox chef's knife is great. We got one, and now LOML and I fight over who gets to use it (versus the cheap one that came with our other knife set). As cheap as they are, I'm buying another...

Considering I have dinner guests every few years and they don't care about my knives I'm not buying expensive knives just to show off.

I'll probably just get the Victoronix knives. I have to wait about 6 to 8 weeks until my $1,000 worth of gift cards I got for a deal come in.

The peasant's knife at Lee Valley is my favorite knife. I like it so much I sent one to my cousin as a Christmas gift. The price is hard to beat as well.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Blog Entries
    One thing to remember, a good, high quality knife will last beyond a lifetime. Unfortunately, a crappy cheap piece of junk knife will last just about as long.

I think it was at Sur la Table that my wife and I bought each other knives. The sales person there was very helpful and did let us dry run the knives on a cutting board. It was kind of funny when we told our friends that we loved and trusted each other enough to buy knives together.

He also showed us how to size a knife for our personal use. The total length of a knife should be equal to the distance from the inside fold of the elbow to the center of the user's palm.

My wife's knife is only 1" shorter than mine, but it feels totally different (awkward) in use. My knife feels like a part of me.

Ours have man made material for handles. This is one of those personal preference areas. If one is in a household that is fastidious about cleaning up, then wooden handles and high carbon steel may be your choice.

So, if you and your spouse are the same size, one knife there may be all you need for the big knife.

I almost bought a paring knife at an estate sale the other day. It was of good quality and only $1. I ended up passing on it since we have about a half dozen paring knives. Most of the time it is one paring knife that gets used in our kitchen. It was a cheap one that is just the right size for me. It is used mostly for peeling fruits and vegetables during preparations.

My preference is for a full, handle length, tang on my knives for balance.

It is also my opinion that finding a knife that fits you and your way of working is more important than who makes it. Quality is important, but if it is uncomfortable in use, then it isn't the best knife for you.

So, my suggestion is go visit a purveyor of fine cutlery and see if they will let you handle their wares. If you are married, take the spouse and make sure you both will enjoy using the knife/knives you buy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Second Dexter Russell knives.

Two people here have mentioned RADA knives, a few years back a family member mentioned how much they liked this brand of cutlery and that it was available at Weaver's Country Store in Fall Creek, WI (Amish store). My husband and I like to stop there on our way back from Christmas in July so we decided to pick up a few pieces, I have not used my Wusthof Trident set since then, we actually just went back and I picked up a few more to be dedicated to our camping supplies (paid 11.89 for a new chef knife).
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One thing to remember, a good, high quality knife will last beyond a lifetime. Unfortunately, a crappy cheap piece of junk knife will last just about as long.
    Ooh...a very wise statement!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I really prefer a Chinese cleaver for most of my work. but I wanted a better quality one. years ago I found a Japanese hand made ss Chinese cleaver and it has been my favorite every since. it holds and edge for a long time and gets sharper then most kitchen knives it is not too heavy the blade is thin but not really delicate.
    I got this more traditional japanese knife 15 years ago. it is a one bevel knife and it was made by a smaller family so it has more hammer marks and such. but it still holds and edge incredibly long and gets sharper then the Chinese cleaver. it is fantastic for thin raw meat as it cuts so easily it does not mash the meat down.
    it about falls through a potato.

Steve knight
    cnc routing