Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions on decent cooking knives?

Any suggestions on decent cooking knives?

I really need some decent cooking knives for home. I current have some cheap Fabreware ones that are crap. I'm looking for ideas on a set that might be $100 or so. Any suggestions?

I know if I asked on a cooking forum they would probably recommend something really high end I don't need or want.

The first mistake many people make IMO is buying a big set of cheaper knives. There is very little one can not do with a good large chefs knife, unless you are going to be breaking down a lot of whole poultry or beef subprimals etc. Personally I would spend either the biggest part of $100 on an 8" chefs knife or split it and get a smaller Santoku also, which I like for veggies. Watch a cooking show and see how often they use smaller knives, it happens but you will see a chefs knife (or a Japanese variation of such if that is what they prefer) in their hands most often.

A good chefs knife, a good steel and a good way to sharpen it will be much better than 7 or 8 low end knives. Look at what one good chisel costs...

I like Wusthof, Lamson, Global and Henkels in this price range BUT there are a LOT of choices but if you spend the money from one of these on a chefs knife you will not regret it. If you or your SO using a paring knife often Global makes a good two piece set with a 8" chefs and a paring knife for right at $100 if you shop.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I agree with Van on this one--I'd much rather have two good knives than a mediocre set. Knives are like chisels--you have people happy with HD chisels, because they don't use them often, don't care how they cut for what they do, and also use them for opening paint cans. Then there are artisan chisels that cost a fortune that are usually justified because, at some level, cheaper tools limit your technique or, in many cases, for heavy users the edge holding characteristics or comfort-in-the-hand factor become more important.

Personally, as much as I love my high end Japanese steel, I'd go with a relatively inexpensive Kuhn Rikon paring knife and a good 8" Chef's knife. The Kuhn Rikon paring knives (sold at Sur la Table, among other places) cost about $10, are deadly sharp, and are super thin, which I find enhances their utility. I'll reach for my little Kuhn before my Shun paring knife every time. For a Chef's knife (you could also go with a Santoku; I used to use them exclusively, but now find myself armed with a pseudo Chef's knife more often than not), Van had good suggestions, but I'd also add Zwilling or Henckels to the list. Sabatier also has a line of pure carbon steel knives that I'd take a serious look at, as long as shiny stainless isn't a requirement. I've tried to like ceramic knives, but can't. I'm too much of a klutz and I'm too worried about chipping (my ceramic peeler, on the other hand, I consider essential). I'd say go to a store and pick them up and see how they feel in your hand.

I have a set of Henkel stain resistant [Not stainless] that are easy to take care of and take a good edge. They cost about what you are looking to spend, maybe just a touch more.

Larry

Cooks Illustrated is a very reliable source of info about everything cooking. Their equipment reviews are thorough and fair. And, when they test knives, Victorinix Fibrox knives routinely come out in the top group. And, best of all, they are one of the cheaper lines. I have a chef's knife, and is is fantastic. I have other knives, some very expensive and fancier, but the Victorinox is the one I most often reach for.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

+1 on no sets: You need a a Chef's knife, a carving knife, and a paring knife. A bread knife (serrated) can be a cheapie. A boning knife is optional. Here's a few good choices:

For stainless:

Wustof Classic (German) - forged - not cheap but excellent -- worth it especially for Chef's knife. All the knives in this line are 1st rate.

Henkels International (from Spain) - forged - softer steel, slightly cruder -- takes a good edge but doesn't hold it as well - 1/2 the price. Good for Chef's knife as a cheaper alt to the above, for paring use the below if you don't want to spend $ for the above.

Wustof Gourmet (German) - stamped -- thinner blade -- inexpensive. Excellent paring knife. Larger sizes not as useful.

For Carbon Steel:

R Murphy (USA) get the Stay Sharp II -- stamped but thicker blade than the "Gourmet" takes a great edge but rusts - very reasonable price. They also have stainless but I haven't tried it so I don't know how it is. Wooden handles. Cruder than the Wustof Classic.

I would buy an 8" Chefs and a paring to start, and perhaps different knives for each. Sharpening equipment is more important than anything. At minimum DMT duo sharp 600 and 1200 combo (very fast) or water stones. I would rather have a lesser knife that's sharp than a dull luxury model. Carbon is great if you have the habit of washing and drying it immediately, and if your wife does too. Otherwise it's a source of arguments. Happy cooking!
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 01-06-2012 at 7:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben West View Post
    Cooks Illustrated is a very reliable source of info about everything cooking. Their equipment reviews are thorough and fair. And, when they test knives, Victorinix Fibrox knives routinely come out in the top group. And, best of all, they are one of the cheaper lines. I have a chef's knife, and is is fantastic. I have other knives, some very expensive and fancier, but the Victorinox is the one I most often reach for.
    Intresting. I was just looking at a Victorinox Fibrox on Amazon earlier. I am far from a chef. I just need something better than the cheesy Farbarware knives that are serrated!

How about Cutco? They certainly cost enough.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    I think you have been given good advice. The chef's knife is the most used. One thing to validate is the handle. If you are going to use it a lot, getting the handle style that gives you the best comfort and control would be my suggestion. For my tastes, I like the following:

Messermeister Meridian Elite 8" chef's knife
    Messermeister Meridian Elite 6" fillet knife
    Messermeister Petty paring knife

90% of my kitchen time uses these three knives. I have others but they typically are used for very specialized tasks (boning, chopping, bread slicing, etc...). The steel on messermeister knives is very good and they make bothe German and Japanese stlye knives.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Get a Japanese version of a western chef's knife. I like the hardness of the center steel, and the narrow blade. I'm not a fan of the Japanese round handles.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

+1 for Victorinix Fibrox chef's knife and 2 of their paring knives, add a bread and a filet and you should cover most things.

We have a bunch of Rada brand knives. I have found them to be the best knives I have ever used. They are not that expensive.
    David B

I went knife-crazy a few years ago and found that all I really use is a chef's knife and a bread knife. My chef's knife is an F. Dick, it was about $75 online and is by far the best knife I've ever owned - it's great for everything from light butchering to fine chopping. For a bread knife, you could probably pick up a Henckel or something of similar quality for $20 or less at a Marshall's or HomeGoods-type place.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    +1 on no sets: You need a a Chef's knife, a carving knife, and a paring knife. A bread knife (serrated) can be a cheapie. A boning knife is optional. Here's a few good choices:

For stainless:

Wustof Classic (German) - forged - not cheap but excellent -- worth it especially for Chef's knife. All the knives in this line are 1st rate.

I would buy an 8" Chefs and a paring to start............. Sharpening equipment is more important than anything.........
    Have a set of the Wustof. A set is not necessary.......this was a gift - a big set. Good stuff. Very good stuff.

My wife is a gourmet cook. No matter how hard I try, I will never rise above second-best chef in the house. However, having worked in restaurant kitchens through college, I am very-well-qualified prep cook, as in - "here - chop/slice/dice this stuff up, and when you're done, it's supposed to look like XYZ".

My personal preference is for a big chef's knife - 10" min, 12" pref. I do not at all like the wide-blade knives that are flat on the bottom - don't even know what they are called - the cutting boards are never gonna stay perfectly flat, so the curve on the chef's knife lets me go fast. The paring knife and boning knife tend to be her domain. The slicer/carver gets used by both of us.

As far as sharpening....might sound like heresy....but we are on our second Chef's Choice sharpener. It really, really works well. And fast. I hit it at the start of each assignment - 15 seconds, and I'm good to go. Cannot stand a knife that is not freshly touched up......habit from my restaurant years..........I used to use the steel all the time, but that's rare now.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I went to the neighborhood restaurant supply.

They display the well-known maker's sets out front. They called them "Chef's golf clubs" - some chefs own more than one set.
    The Dexter Russell line is their recommendation for the nearby culinary arts program. Good steel, machine washable handles at a reasonable price.

Made in the USofA, too.