Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any suggestions on decent cooking knives?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I must have a different set of Henckels knives. Mine clearly state they were made in Germany, and they weren't cheap by any means 20+ years ago.
    You do have a different set. While some Henckels are still made to that quality level they also sell a bunch of cheaper stuff (stamped, not forged blades, etc.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Can anyone recommend a decent paring knife hopefully with a black plastic handle to match my other knives? It really needs to be something I can order through Amazon as I have a gift card balance there. I also need to order a bread knife to add to my collection.
    Why not get the Victorinox paring knife? I don't see a serrated edge...
    http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut...0983812&sr=1-3

Wüsthof sells a Grand Prix line that has similar looking handles...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Why not get the Victorinox paring knife? I don't see a serrated edge...
    http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut...0983812&sr=1-3

Wüsthof sells a Grand Prix line that has similar looking handles...
    I've seen people complain that the handles on the Victorinox paring knives are too small. I was thinking there might be something better out there.

As it turns out, my block set is supposed to have a paring knife instead of a second serrated knife. I talked to Victorinox and they said I need to deal with Amazon. Amazon would have me return the whole set over a simple paring knife. I was hoping Victorinox would just just send me a paring knife so I don't have to return the whole set.

That's just the way amazon goes at it, huh? V-nox missed the boat there following policy to the letter.

When my hybrid TS didn't arrive and I only got the fence, amazon CS offered to print me a return label.

When I told them I only got a fence and no saw, they said that whatever I got, I should just send back to them. Freight. (the saw showed up separately a couple of days later after some detective work with the freight company).

So I'm not surprised they'd tell you to send the whole thing back for a $5 paring knife.

I haven't actually talked to Amazon yet. When I look at my order in my account the only option is to return the item. I can't file a claim or otherwise send any communications to Amazon through the website that I can find.

The good news is I found the customer service number for Amazon and the customer service agent refunded me $16 instead of requiring me to return it. $16 will be more than enough to order a paring knife. After looking closer I think Victorinox included a serrated paring knife instead of a straight edge paring knife. All of the pictures of this block set clearly show a straight edge paring knife so I think they included the wrong knife.

Lee Valley sells cooking knives. And as usual you know what they sell is going to be of a great quality and fairly priced. I'm about to order the poor mans chef's knife...

R Murphy has good knives made in USA. I have only used the carbon and staysharp (excellent) which rust if not dried -- they also have stainless. Basic but the ones I have take a razor edge. Quite fairly priced -- I think I paid $14 for a paring knife! Otherwise the German Wustoff classic are very fine knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Global is my choice...I absolutely love them. Not inexpensive, but I'm really, really pleased. And I like the fact that they are all metal...no handle to come lose "someday".
    I agree Jim, although I think knives might be like a lot of other things; what is right for one might not be right for another.

With that being said, I have a Wustoff Santoku 7" that I like for veggies, but my favorite is my 8" Global chefs knife. For me it has a perfect balance, strong blade that will cut through onions and other hard veggies without flexing. I put the steel to my blades before using and sometimes in the middle of cutting. I have had my Global for almost 7 years, has never been sharpened other than with a steel by me, and with just a few passes on the steel it will still cut through a tomato with just the weight of the blade enough to make a perfect cut.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Others have mentioned the Lee Valley chef's knife. My DIL got it for me a couple years ago. My go to knife for just about everything. Takes and holds a sharp edge and good balance. http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...33,40738,52770 The only drawback is the blade does not stay nice and shiny like the stainless steel knives.
    For a thin blade knife I purchase a Rapala filleting knife about 30 years ago. After about 30 years it's not holding an edge as well as it used to. Maybe a softer steel inside, I'm going to get another one.
    Also have a larger butcher knife ie. 16" blade 2" wide made by F. Dick in Germany, my BIL was a butcher and that's what he was using I've had if for nearly 30 years and it still works great.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project