Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions on decent cooking knives?

An update here. I finally got my Victorinox Fibrox knife set from Amazon. They are a really nice upgrade from the junk knives I was using. I'm disappointed that one of the knives is not super sharp, but that can be fixed easily enough. I will be adding at least a bread knife to my collection.

I rely entirely on Dexter Russell knives from chunking tuna to cutting frozen boxes of bait to cutting dinner. Just be sure you get the ones made in USA. There are some knockoffs out there.

To late for Brian but...

We've got several Wusthof and other "high end" knifes: they're generally great and worth the $ (don't have anything really expensive).

That said, the knife I reach for more than any other is the Ikea Gynnsam 6" chefs knife.
    gynnsam-chefs-knife__0090109_PE223673_S4.JPG
    This knife has a great feel/balance, takes and holds a keen edge. It is worth much more than its $17 price tag to me.

There is also an 8" chefs, fillet, paring and bread knife of the same design, the four would set you back $62... or ~2/3 of a Wustof Classic 6" chefs kinfe.

-kg

While you certainly don't really need a huge collection of knives to do the job correctly, you do need quality. Considering you'll probably use a set of cooking knives more than any tool in your shop over a lifetime, why not spend a few bucks and get something that will put a grin on your face the second it is in your hand.

My choice of knives; Warther. They're located in Dover, Ohio. Their knives are 100% made in the USA. I have several and they are a real treat to use. If you get a chance, by all means make a trip to their shop and Museum. A trip through the Museum will allow you to go back in time to when a very gifted man existed, Mooney Warther. His skills and imagination were almost inconceivable. It's certainly worth a visit.

Mac

I bought a ceramic knife at H F and am surprise as how sharp it is
    from my elbow to my palm is 10 or more inches, only a meat cleaver need to be this big for the knives use in the kitchen

I have spent a fortune on good knives over the years (most are brands already mentioned previously). I think for the most part any "good" knife will suffice over a cheap knife. It is like arguing about whether the BMW or Mercedes is a better buy than the Yugo. The hardest part for me was teaching my kids and wife the proper care of them and to STOP PUTTING THEM IN THE DISHWASHER. good knives should be hand washed and dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    How about Cutco? They certainly cost enough.

Rick Potter
    Cutco flies under the radar. You have to know they exist.
    Great knives, lifetime warranty, and sharpening service. Longer handles for better control.
    Dish washer safe, but like everyone else here has stated,Why would you ever put a kitchen knife in the dishwasher?

I must have a different set of Henckels knives. Mine clearly state they were made in Germany, and they weren't cheap by any means 20+ years ago.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Dumb question: Why can't I put knives in the dishwasher?

If it your money that bought the knives, will two knives that are the same in every way except one get wash by hand & one get wash in a dish washer STAY the same

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Handles that don't tolerate the temperature, I guess. My knives don't tolerate it, either. Even though they are the cheap ginsu set from amazon, about $75 with steak knives. They were the cheapest forged knives I could find, but they are soft (I knew they would be), otherwise decent knives with a full tang-through handle and easy enough to sharpen that their sharpness still causes problems with everyone who uses the knives (it drives me nuts how everyone who comes here seems to be trained to use extremely dull knives).

But those cheap knives are supplemented by two japanese knives - a tanaka santoku and a deba (i don't remember the name of the maker for the deba). None of them are dishwasher safe, but I was surprised that the ginsu knives weren't given the market segment they're targeted to.

I tried to get my wife accustomed to better knives, but I am the only one who uses the japanese knives (she is afraid of them) and she is too rough with the edges on the other knives to warrant better knives.

Long story short, I'm in favor of the couple of good knives and then a bunch of cheap knives theory. I would still like to get a small petty knife in vg10 or blue #1, but if I did that and my wife had access to it, there'd be as much blood here as there is in a ric flair/ abdullah the butcher match.

Glad you like the Victorinox set, Brian. They are awfully hard to beat for the price. Heck, they are hard to beat at any price.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    One reason I don't like to put sharp knives in the dishwasher is that I'm afraid that the intermittent sprays of water will cause the sharp knives to jiggle against the other utensils and damage the edge. If you can put the knives in a place where they're isolated - and the water won't hurt the handles - I see no reason you couldn't safely put them in the dishwasher. And many good knives have handles that will tolerate long immersion in water.

I hand wash my knives just to make sure they're handled properly so the edge isn't damaged.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The handles are one issue, and as Mike said, the blade is the biggest issue. The dishwasher seems to be a great place to put your knives if you want to dull them. I was told once that there is an issue with the heat of the dishwasher (not sure I put any faith in that), but I think the biggest issue is the knives banging around against other items. Would you throw your Lie Nielson plane blades in a drawer jumbled with wrenches and screwdrivers? Better to just hand wash and put away.

I think if the heat were an issue (unless a knife fell down against a heating element), the door would probably fly off the dishwasher from steam pressure. plastic dishes would melt, too, before knife temper would be affected.

I think regardless of manfacturer suggestions, you guys are right about protecting the edge.

I bought a set of Victorinox Fibrox knives as a set that includes a knife block. For some reason they didn't include a paring knife. The two small knives are both serrated and who uses a serrated paring knife? I have no idea what I would use the two small serrated knives for.

Can anyone recommend a decent paring knife hopefully with a black plastic handle to match my other knives? It really needs to be something I can order through Amazon as I have a gift card balance there. I also need to order a bread knife to add to my collection.