Thread: Opinions on Festool MFK700 trim router

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

Opinions on Festool MFK700 trim router

I have a few Festool products and so far I am thrilled with the performance of most of them. The MFK-700 trim router is an exception. I was wondering if there are other users out there and what your opinion of it is.

I have been trying to trim Wilsonart Walnut laminate with a Festool Chamfer/Edge trim bit. It does an absolutely mediocre job. Not a clean cut, not flush with surface. I get far, far better results with a low angle block plane. Am I doing something wrong here and is this router just the lemon in an otherwise great product line?

James

I have been happy with mine. I have not had any problems trimming laminate.
    As for other uses, I use mine to trim 1/2" edge banding & I mounted a Micro Fence, Micro Stop on mine & use it to cut sliding dovetails.

James, can you post some close up pictures of your problems? What type of wood? Do you see any obvious issues with grain pattern? Is the bit splitting/cracking the edge downward as you cut?

Hi Bob:

Unfortunately, I have already cleaned up the edges with a block plane so I cannot take photos. Basically I am trying to match existing cabinets in the kitchen which were Walnut laminate on substrate. I have used 3/4" baltic birch for the surfaces and 3/4" ash for the face frame. The laminate was a Wilsonart Walnut that I cut with a knife deliberately a little over sized to give me some room for error when placing it as I am using contact cement. Thus the need to trim every piece after I feel to bond is permanent.

What I am seeing is a rather fuzzy edge on the laminate after trimming with the Festool. I would expect a nice, crisp clean cut, but I have yet to achieve that. Also there is a slight edge which I can easily catch with my fingernail so the bearing on the chamfer/edge trim bit is a little larger than the cutting diameter. I think most of the problem is the bit itself. Despite being a brand new (purchased for this project) Festool bit, even my eye can see that the bearing is larger than the cutter. Plus there is only a single, straight cutting edge on the bit (one cutting edge for trim, a separate edge for chamfer on the opposite side, but only one cut per revolution). It is almost as if I bought a used bit that had been poorly sharpened (leading to the smaller diameter and poor cutting quality) but it was purchased from a reputable dealer so I doubt that.

Originally I thought this was an 8mm bit only tool (severely limiting my bit options here in the U.S.) as I did not see a 1/4" collect available as an accessory. This morning I found the 1/4" collect in the systainer so it is standard. I think I will try some high quality 1/4" bits before I give up on the router itself.

James

It really does sound like you got a bad bit. Given the results are better even with a cheap laminate trimmer and a good bit that is probably all of yout troubles.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have also been happy with both my 700 router and that particular bit. Haven't had any problems with mine. Only issues I've encountered is when I worked with high def laminate and the bit(s) got dull. Then I ended up getting some chip out on the edges. Have learned to keep a fresh edge for high def.

Clint

I have the router, really like it .. Could be a lousy bit .. end of the day, the router spins the bit.. the bit does all the actual work.

sources for good quality 1/4" trim bits?

What are good brands and good sources for 1/4" flush trim bits? Thanks.

James