Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Saws

Jig Saws

i am in the market for a new jig saw. After reading numerous reviews on various saws i am still undecided. i am leaning toward bosch or dewalt at this time.

The foot of most jig saws seems to be a problem with setting back to 90' after moving., and not cutting straight for some reason seemed to be another complaint.

What are your experiences and what is your preferred jig saw, pros and cons?
    Peace, Patience, and Perseverance

Dave

I have a Bosch 1591, the barrel handle. Great saw, excellent power, you name it. I've never heard much about Dewalt jigs, everything I've ever seen from users had the Bosch 1590/91 and the Festool as the top two. Some like the Bosch better, some festool. Even if the festool were a little better, for twice the money getting the Bosch is a no brainer.

I bought the Bosch 1590EVSK.

As with most cutting machines, my tracking problems are generally solved by a fresh blade.
    It was expensive, but seems durable and most importantly - it works well every time it gets dusted off.

Blog Entries
    You'll love the Bosch 1591, is has plenty of power and is very smooth. If you get the T-234Xblades the saw cuts will be almost as good as a TS cut even in hardwood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My go-to is my little Porter Cable 548 worm drive bayonet saw. With a non adjustable base, alignment issues are nil.As a work around, I machined a couple of aluminum wedges that I can bolt to the sole plate for the rare bevel cut. The hook type blades are getting scarce though. I have had some experience with the Bosches, We had a couple at my last job. As previously stated, powerful and smooth. My only issue is the blade mounting system...I always had one in my repair shop due to over zealous employees. That and the brushes were difficult to get to. No experience with the DeWalt offerings.
    Last edited by mickey cassiba; 01-07-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Mick

I have a top handle Milwaukee, Dewalt, and B&D. I always grab the Milwaukee.

Since I started using Bosch tools I've never looked back. The customer service people have gotten right back to me when I had a question about a purchase I was about to make. Prices are more than reasonable for the quality, and when on sale it's just another bonus. I have purchased new and recon never an issue. The Bosch will not disappoint you.

If you don't want to pop for the Festool the Bosch 1590/1 is the way to go, just have to pick barrel or D handle.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've got the Festool and it's very nice. Probably not worth the extra money though
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

Blog Entries
    Another Bosch 159X fan. I prefer the barrel grip 1590 but, both are wonderful saws at a very reasonable price for this type of tool at this quality level.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would love to get my hands on an Oliver 273....most of them if available, are on the opposite side of the country...

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=991

B,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    I would love to get my hands on an Oliver 273....most of them if available, are on the opposite side of the country...

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=991

B,
    Tough on your back and arms dragging it around the shop, much less using it...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    My go-to is my little Porter Cable 548 worm drive bayonet saw.
    got an old rockwell 548, love it. also love how it says EXTRA heavy duty on it.

Another vote for the Bosch 1590evs. I really like it. I have no experience with any other brands other than what Wal-mart sells.

Quote Originally Posted by dave harris View Post
    i am in the market for a new jig saw.
    I've got a barrel handle Bosch -- awesome jig saw. Solid.