Thread: New lathe in my sights...

New lathe in my sights...

Hi All,
    Been away for a while. My lathe is just really not up to snuff so been turning mostly small items but that will be changing in the next few months. I am really thinking about the Rikon Model 70-450. Does anyone have experience with this lathe? I was thinking about the DVR3000 but the Rikon seems to come with the bells and whistles where you have to buy the extras seperate on the Nova. The only draw back I can see would be the moving of the belt on the Rikon but that is not a deal breaker for me as for the most part many lathes have belts to move to some extent. Any input would be appreciated.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...del-70450.aspx
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

I haven't seen that lathe before. Seems to be another clone variation of the PM3520. I would consider the 1.5 hp motor a bit small for that big of a throw, which is probably why there are 6 speed ranges rather than the more standard 2 or three. I do prefer the sliding headstock to the pivoting one, but that prejudice comes from the first days of the pivoting headstocks, and there were alignment issues back then.

robo hippy

I would not count the lathe out due to the motor size. Motor HP rating is hard to compare as different manufactors use different criteria for coming up with this number. Some measure power output at the shaft, some measure electrical power input, some publish a continuous power rating, others reason that a lathe motor is fully loaded for only brief periods and use a different rating. I am not saying that any of these are wrong but is hard to compare. The 1.5 hp motor on my home-made machine is more powerful than the 2hp on a Powermatic 3520B.

Are there budgetary concerns that have you looking at the Rikon? Don't get me wrong, I have a Rikon midi that I'm happy with for what it is, but if I were already going to spend 2.5k on a lathe, the PM3520B can be had for 1.1k ish more. $4k is the standard price, but they can be had for $3.6k, least before any new year price hikes.

Either way you go Chris, Im sure it will be a great addition to your shop that you will enjoy for years to come. I too have had the decision to make on spending that kind of money on something that doesnt have tires or a 454 big block
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

I Saw that Woodcraft is having 15% off all rikon tools on Jan 14th, a one day sale., Brings the price to about 2200. I have a Rikon 70-500 Woodfast lathe, and due to some problems Rikon sent me a 70-450 as a loaner untill they could sort out problems on my lathe, talk about great service! I like the 70-450 smooth, plenty of power, no issues with alignment. I do have to occasionally change belts, but not often, almost always run it in the second position. If i had to do it over again I might have just bought the 70-450.
    Ken DeMarco
    2 lathes.JPG
    Ken DeMarco
    Rawson, OH