Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Wonder they are closing stores..........

No Wonder they are closing stores..........

Sears has a really good deal on Jet 1642...........

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...01/2HP%20lathe
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Orderd 2 for that price LOL! WOW

Wow! Well, it should come as no surprise. Someone recently posted about how the cost of lathes had gone up!

Gosh.... maybe I should sell mine instead of keeping it for finials!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

since its used , fair price 8k, Steve

1642-2 for 10k? Really?...wow. Sears and Screwbuck
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

7. It looks like the typo monster got them. To be fair it is not sold by Sears but by CPO Outlets. 80% of the stuff on sears.com is not actually sold by sears. They are just trying to be amazon. Craftsman is now Middleman lol.

You know, it really is sad! I remember eons ago when I was a kid, one of the most interesting places to go when we went to Houston was the tool department at the Crosstimbers store. They always had power tools set up that they would demo while you watched. No questions warranty. I have a couple of my first power tools that I purchased in the late '60s. A power saw and a router. Both still work today, but dadgummit, they had some plastic on them.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I wonder if it ships for free.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure that's not for a bakers dozen?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Muldowney View Post
    It looks like the typo monster got them. To be fair it is not sold by Sears but by CPO Outlets. 80% of the stuff on sears.com is not actually sold by sears. They are just trying to be amazon. Craftsman is now Middleman lol.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that.....

There is somwthing wrong with their pricing system. I have been watching a Jet disc sander and it was at $449 and then all of a sudden it went to $2295. It would not surprise me if Sears did not contract to a tool, paint and appliance store. Dump the clothes and housewares. They need a new identity and have to differentiate themselves from the competition.

Sadly, Sears is an example of letting the bean counters run the business instead of just tasking them with counting the beans. It's all too common in business today. The beans counters don't or simply refuse to understand that you have to spend it to make it. Other bad business decisions just make things worse. It doesn't help that margins on durables (tools, appliances, etc) while still not bad, aren't what they used to be. That makes it tougher to simply make a call to replace something that may not really be a warranty issue, but do it to keep customers happy, which is what used to set Sears apart from some of the rest.

My sister once had an issue with a vacuum cleaner purchased from Sears. The company that made it went belly up, bags and parts were non-existant. Sears gave her a new comparable vacuum without even asking for it. She didn't have to pay a dime for it. I have a feeling that nowadays such a thing would not happen.

Now stores sell you (or try to) an "extended warranty", hope like heck you never try to use it. But if you do, there's always a reason why the defect isn't covered by a warranty that was supposed to cover it 100%.

CS recently had the small variable speed lathe on sale for $4xx with free shipping. Was hoping it had reappeared at Sears since I was too stupid to order one just for pens and leave my PM set up for bowls etc.....then I see the mistake on the Sears add. Still hope CS will do again.

John, not for free, but only $6.99, so darn close to free. That makes a big difference! Too bad I already have a 1642.