Thread: Walnut Bench along with Mountain Dulcimer

Walnut Bench along with Mountain Dulcimer

I recently built this bench for a client from 8/4 Walnut. Sorry about the very poor quality of the pictures, I will try to post again after I obtain some more pictures at the client's home. Also in the pictures is an example of the Mountain Dulcimers that I build. This one has a spruce top, zebrawood sides, bookmatched walnut back, walnut peghead, walnut and hackberry fretboard. The bench was a blast to build, as are the dulcimers. I am 61 and still wondering what I will do when I grow up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Rick,
    I like the clean lines and substantial feel of the bench. But the dulcimer is amazing!

Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Very nice work. I really like the clean, but stout lines of the bench. And what's not to like about the dulcimer! I took the liberty of doing a little color correction on one of your photos for you. I suspect this is closer to what it really looks like in real life:

IMAG0025.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That bench is really nice!!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

OK, I'm inspired by that bench. I think that leg/back support assembly, coupled with a sculpted seat, would be amazing! Can you share the plans for the bench support assembly?

I'm 49 and still drooling over that dulcimer. Got an audio file you can upload so we can hear what it sounds like?

Todd

Beautiful bench. And the dulcimer - how did you like working with zebrawood, and how does it sound? Gorgeous.

Thanks to all for the nice responses, and thank you Jim for fixing the picture. I produce about 4 dulcimers a month and mostly work with exotics. The dulcimer in these pictures has a very balanced sound, not a big voice, but really sings and has become a favorite wood combination. I have one that is very mournful with the top santos mahogany, african anagre sides and fretboard, and the remainder genuine mahogany. I like playing with different combinations, kinda trial and error, some are wall art, some are very good performers, all are fun to make, and each has it's own personality. I will post a few shortly. Thank you.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Back to the bench....

Do you have any intermediate assembly photos of the supports for the bench?