Thread: how much depth do dog holes need?

Blog Entries

how much depth do dog holes need?

as on the title... is 2inches enough? do dog holes in plywood hold up well?

At least enough clearance to hold the stuff that will accumulate until you get frustrated enough to turn your workbench over and clean them out.

Or all the way through so debris will NOT accumulate.

Blog Entries
    I'm planning on doing them all the way. I'll have just under 2inches thickness when I'm done (renovating a plywood bench with some solid beech skirts and top) and was just wondering if that is good enough.

Decide how thick your top needs to be, then drill the holes. If the holes are not deep enough put a little piece of wood under each one and drill through it. Chris S does this in one of this workbench books.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    I'm planning on doing them all the way. I'll have just under 2inches thickness when I'm done (renovating a plywood bench with some solid beech skirts and top) and was just wondering if that is good enough.

2 inches will be fine. I've used them with good effect in 1.25 inches with a skirted top, but the top is beech. They eat up my saw bench a little bit, which is SPF 2x lumber. They grab well in both, though, and despite noticing that they push the SPF a little bit, in function, I don't think I'll be replacing it until something actually fails to work.

Blog Entries
    In plywood, I think I would drill the holes oversized and glue in a hardwood plug, then drill that to the finished size. Or maybe attach an addl 3/4 by 2 inch strip to the underside of the top along the hole line before drilling. Then do the oversized plug thing.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-09-2012 at 2:28 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.