Thread: Hot Water radiater cover

Hot Water radiater cover

What type of wood could I use to make a enclosure for a big hot water ratiator. It stands 42" h x 52"wide and 12"deep. Would HD or Lowes have the metal grating for the front? should I put some kind of metal/aluminum inside to radiate the heat out the front?
    I'm sorry for all the questions ,but, my cousin has an old Victorian and I'm trying to help her out and save her money.

Greg, I've built a bunch of radiator covers for old houses in Philly. I've used plywood, cherry, birch, pine and poplar. I think it's safe to say that almost anything will work.
    I've never put any kind of metal inside, and they've all worked fine.
    I've never checked HD or Lowe's but if you're near Chestnut Hill try Kilian's hardware. I haven't bought it from them in a while but they used to stock it. I've also used pre-woven caning and it's held up just fine and I think it looks way better.
    One thing to be sure of is to leave a space at the floor for air circulation.
    Hope this helps,
    Paul

I used rift sawn white oak to make a couple several years ago. May have used a little ply for the end panels, but the bulk was solid wood. There was some slight moving with the verticals in front....(maybe 1/2" thick x 2" wide or so pieces). Last time I looked they were all still flat enough that it looked good.

good luck,
    JeffD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    One thing to be sure of is to leave a space at the floor for air circulation.
    Hope this helps,
    Paul

Make sure you leave a place for the warm air to get out at the top. Convection air flow doesn't work well through holes smaller than 1/4' diameter and bigger is better. Hot water radiators work by heating air in between the cast iron parts which rises as it gets warm. Impeding air flow will reduce the effectiveness.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee. I forgot to add that. Most of the covers I've built have a grid on the top for that purpose.
    Paul

Thanks Lee. I forgot to add that. Most of the covers I've built have a grid on the top for that purpose.
    Paul
    that's the one thing i didn't like about the TOH cover silva did.

There is a reflective bubble wrap insulation, maybe about 1/4" to 3/8" thick,that can be stapled to the sides, back and top of the enclosure that reflects heat. Just Google that phrase and you'll come up with something. I've found it at local DIY centers, I've used it on radiator enclosures, figured it could't hurt. From looking on the web, some manufacturers of radiator enclosures use it.

Paul
    Thanks for all the input. I didn't think of a grid on the top cover.

Rad covers became an industry in themselves over here in Ireland until recently - a low cost way of changing the look of a room.

They presumably work well enough, but it's hard to see their not reducing the capacity of the radiator to a fairly significant degree as a result of their reducing whatever convective airflow normally gets going around the rad...

ian

Here you go. I made these out of poplar and bought the grates at HD along with the foil insulation. These went over steam radiators.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...radiator+cover
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Here you go. I made these out of poplar and bought the grates at HD along with the foil insulation. These went over steam radiators.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...radiator+cover
    Thanks Don for your reply, I really like your covers. Did you design them yourself or have a plan? How wide are your covers? Min will be about 53" wide and I never thought of using popular.

They were my own design. I based them on the clients woodwork in the house. Each one was custom made for the radiator. I measured the radiator and added 2 inches to the height, 2 inches for depth and 3 inches (1 1/2 for each side) taking into the pipes coming from the floor. The side against the wall was solid so the heat would not get absorbed into the wall.

There are no backs so they can be pulled forward to clean. The client wouldn't be able to lift them up and over if I included a back and not because they are heavy but more because they would need to be lifted straight up which is awkward to do.

If you want a few more picture PM me you email and I can send a few out.
    Don

Do a Google Image search on Radiator Covers, there are lots of designs and options.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Radiation heat transfer is insignificant at the temperatures involved. Radiation heat transfer is proportional to the fourth power of the temperature difference. That works good from the sun to the earth or the red hot coils of a radiant heater to our skin but from 180* water to our 98.6* not much. Heat is transferred by conduction from the radiator to the air and the air rising from it's decrease in density (natural convection). Provide unrestricted opening high AND LOW.