Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isn't she a <cough> BEAUTY?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    45 minutes after posting my pen pic to FaceBook I had an order for another one, and I was threatened by SWMBO that if I don't start selling something soon from my "hobby" the wrath will culminate in the loss of some precious jewels I have owned for, as far as I can tell, my entire life (or at least right up until I got married). She also half-chuckled to herself that she would be amazed if I actually managed to make something soon enough to sell... I think she's starting to talk to the DAMP crew too much.

Well, Amy "found out" last night. As we slipped into bed, me reading a book and her on the iPad, she innocently asks me who I was talking to on the phone.
    SWMBO: Who were you talking to on the phone?
    Me: Bill <trying to get my halo to shine a little brighter to blind her>
    SWMBO: Bill who?
    Me: Grumbine.
    SWMBO: Oh? What did you guys talk about? <her tone telling me she's starting to get a bit suspicious>
    Me: <a moment of silence while I figure out the least painful way to get a beatdown, coming straight to the point> I'm buying his lathe.
    SWMBO: <silence, with the face slowly screwing up... crap> <head starts to shake slightly side to side> How much is it costing you?
    Me: Uhm... a lot. <like ripping a bandaid off all at once... get the sting out of the way>
    SWMBO: <more silence... double crap>
    Me: I love you!
    SWMBO: <silence> <closes cover on iPad, rolls over and turns off the light>
    Me: I really love you!

She kissed me on the way out the door this morning, so it can't be all bad. Right? Guys? Right?!
    I suggest that the first few things you turn on the new lathe be gifts for SWMBO.
    Congrats on the new lathe.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Dan,

Please ask Amy to let us know where to send the flowers for the memorial service. That is, of course, providing they ever find your body < veg >
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Dan,
    I'm a little late to post but after reading everything, I hope this finds you intact. Congratulations on the lathe too! Hope it serves you well.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Brent at Robust here. Thank you Dan for buying Bill's lathe so quick. I know you'll be happy with it. I'll step up and speak for Mr Grumbine: He bought a new one just like it. We've made some cosmetic changes to the AB since Bill bought his 4 1/2 years ago. Because he is one of our dealers, I encouraged him to have the latest and greatest in his shop. To make room he had to sell his gently used one. Hope this doesn't constitute a commercial posting, but I did want to let everybody know what was up with Bill. Thanks, Brent

Dan, looks like you will have to develop some serious belly muscle to run that big lathe. Bill always bragged about his ability to use a large amount of belly muscle. Enjoy the new (to you) Robust and I agree make sure he signs that beast in with a nice gold or silver "Sharpie"
    Member Illiana Woodturners

A belated congrat's Dan! You've a lot more in the guts department than I do. Enjoy life turning on that big beauty.

Did the lathe come with a free pistol and belt holster?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

My guess is you are going to be dead meat when she finds out the price Dan. Sorry!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent English View Post
    Brent at Robust here. Thank you Dan for buying Bill's lathe so quick. I know you'll be happy with it.
    Brent, I'm sure Bill has already asked you about disassembly for ease of transport (since it will likely be just me moving it from the truck and into the house), but I'll send an email along myself for more details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I agree make sure he signs that beast in with a nice gold or silver "Sharpie"
    I was going to find a white paint pen, but I think the silver/gold sounds like a better idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Did the lathe come with a free pistol and belt holster?
    I have my own Colt .45 Officer's ACP with multiple mags always loaded with Hydra-Shok hollow points Stored in a biometric/fingerprint safe, of course
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Way to GO! That is a one fantastic lathe. I've had the honor of being there when Bill had it's "Welcome Home" party. I got to take that bad boy for a spin or two.

And you could not buy for a more trustworthy person than Bill. I've bought several used machines from him and each time I was pleased as punch.

Oh, and whoever gets that 1642 is going to LOVE that! That's the lathe I have now. 9 years old and still chugging (Holy crap! It's been nine years?)
    Dominic Greco

There is an inconsistency here!!!! So often SMC folks demand photos to prove a variety of claims. HOWEVER, IN THIS CASE YOU ARE MERELY TRUSTING DAN'S WORD.......THERE ARE NO PICTURES TO PROVE ANYTHING!!!
    What gives???

I think pictures or an obituary will be coming soon.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Blog Entries
    I think I'll hijack the delivery truck. No pics yet so no proof. LMAO Somsday I'll own an American Beauty. Congratulations.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I am now, officially, ready to accept a corporate sponsorship from Robust (in case Brent is still following this)! I would even let my wife sew a Robust patch on the smock!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Congrats Dan. My friend and MiniMax salesman, Sam Blasco, has a Robust also (if I'm not mistaken ). I didn't get a chance to spin in when I was in his shop in Smithsville a couple years ago, but WOW! What a fine machine ...
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand