Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making handles without a lathe

You know, if you keep your eyes open, you can get a Shopsmith in really good condition for less than $400. Great sander, pretty fair lathe and drill press, and a great platform for building all sorts of gizmos (drum sander springs to mind)...

Bob Rozaieski posted a podcast on doing this very thing without a lathe--http://www.logancabinetshoppe.com . Check his website out!

Also, if you have a bench with an end vise then you should be able to clamp a spindle blank between to tall bench dogs (wish I could remember the term for these, something like 'parapet?') that have nails or screws that fit into the pre-punched holes. To this jig, a pole lathe (bow + stretcher/string) can be added to power the spinning effect. Look up Pole Lathe for illustrations. I've watched a few old, silent videos of early 1900 wagon wrights making spokes for wheels this way. Fabulously interesting!

Blog Entries
    (wish I could remember the term for these, something like 'parapet?')
    Could it be bench puppet?

Kind of like a dog, but with considerable bulk above the bench.

Shown here:

http://www.greenwoodworking.com/EndVicePoleLatheArticle

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ironically, some lathe tool handles are made octagonal. They're just as easy to hold, and are less prone to roll off the bench.

The best thing about a lathe is that it allows you to drill a deep straight hole. But the shaft often does not need to project more than a couple inches into the shaft. You can always start the hole with a doweling, or similar drilling jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Keys View Post

That looks great. Isn't this likely to damage the drill though? As tempted as I am to try it, I can't afford to burn up my drill either.

D
    Just be careful not to clamp the drill down to tight and no drill damage. I made a cradle to pad the drill and make it easier to clamp solid. You do need a decent size drill like 6 amps minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Could it be bench puppet?

Kind of like a dog, but with considerable bulk above the bench.

Shown here:

http://www.greenwoodworking.com/EndVicePoleLatheArticle

jtk
    YES! That's the correct word for which I sought.

Thanks Jim,

Archie

Just get out your pocket knife and start whittling.