Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's baby crib makin' time and I need some knowledge!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by james glenn View Post
    I've been looking at federal regulations and measuring cribs at stores already. I actually thought they would be a little beefier than most are, so I am sure the strength of mine won't be a concern.

How high did you go with your railing?
    Also, what hardware did you use for the matress frame (bed frame) that would allow you to convert it to a toddler bed later on? Or is it a matter of simply lowering the frame and matress and
    and reattaching it?

Thanks
    Jimmy
    Hi, sorry it took a couple of days to respond on this. Here is the thread that talks about the build: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...9-Crib-Project

It shows the hardware I made from aluminum flat stock to attach the mattress support to the frame. I made the top front rail about 3" taller than the in store measurement I found. This was based upon a design sold in several stores called the "Peyton crib." I believe that the Peyton crib can be found on Google 3d warehouse. I also made a plan, but caution that I actually varied from the plan a bit on the fly so it isn't totally accurate.

James,

After looking around at several different designs, I made the Rockler 3-in-1 Transitional Crib Bed from cherry for our grandson. I followed their design, which required using patterns to make shaped slats (first time for me). Gluing up all the slats was another great learning experience. Now that the grandson is getting bigger, we are installing the day bed rail. Later on we will be adding the footboard and side rails.

It is a sturdy design, and as far as I know, meets the CPSC standards. The crib mattress support is adjustable and has worked fine.
    The hardware package has all necessary fasteners, for the crib, day bed and youth bed.

This photo was prior to installation of the front gate. Let me know by PM if you would like more infomation.

615709666_tTjq3-M.jpg

Best,
    Jim

I may be the only one in this camp, but I would suggest building a crib that is just a crib, unless you plan on having only one child. They sleep in a crib for such a short time (typically less than 2 years) and then a toddler bed for an even shorter amount of time, I just don't think the conversion beds are practical. I think the conversion idea was created so furniture companies could talk people into spending a lot of $$$ on furniture for their baby (parents and grandparents are easy pickin's for that first baby or grand baby -- I know I spent money on all kinds of stuff that we really didn't need for the first child). Unless you have plenty of storage, it's somewhat painful to keep those extra crib rails or bed parts around when you're not using them. If you build a crib-only affair, you can cycle it through with the kids and you'll easily find someone else in the family or neighborhood that needs it when your kids are done with it and you no longer have to store it. Same thing with a toddler bed. The twin-size bed you'll keep for a lot longer. Just my opinion.

--Dan