Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some interesting SMC stats.

Some interesting SMC stats.

Curiosity got the better of me a little while ago, so I did some digging through the member list. Based on what I found, I'd like to see a little broader participation from the membership--it leads to a wider variety of opinions and answers to questions, shared experiences and the like. Here are some numbers for you:
    The top 20 posters (I was tied for #18), or about .46% of the membership, have contributed about 28% of the total number of posts (43,000+ out of 154,000+)
    There are 1786 members (of 4336 at this writing), or 41%, who have NEVER posted. Among those are a pretty good number of "illegal" user names, but I didn't count--I estimate a couple hundred or so at most.
    So, for those who have never posted, at least do one to say "hi"! Don't think your opinions don't count, or that you don't have any wisdom or experience to contribute--share what you know!! There are a broad, broad range of abilities here, and just because you aren't the best or most experienced, doesn't mean you can't help someone else out with a question/problem/issue.
    Last edited by Jason Roehl; 03-14-2005 at 10:54 AM.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason,

Those ARE some interesting numbers. I say that, because the track right along with the numbers that I have seen at a couple of other boards. Normally about 0.5% of members contribute to 25% of posts or somewhere around there. It is interesting to find out that SMC is tracking right along with popular boards of other subject matters.

As you said, everyone is welcome and more than that encouraged to voice their opinions at SMC! A diversified response is what makes a post worth while!!

Thanks for the research!

Jeff
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Lightbulb Intersesting!

Intersesting!
    Was giving this a little thought as I wrote the check for a little more SMC bandwidth. I have always shared this wonderful site with everyone I meet that has ever inhaled fresh sawdust and many that never will.
    With almost every new creeker that steps up there has been some wonderful pix great ideas and useful shop tips. The noobeez have asked insightful questions that have reinforced my knowledge of the topic or reminded me of the time when I was struggling with that problem. I think I may have even brought a useful thing or two to the forum.

On my Tahiti trip anchored in 8 meters on a hot star lit night with a few cool ones, we had a big debate about volunteer organizations in general and the club that arranged our trip specifically. In every group there are those that participate, and those that just take. In every club/forum there is usually a core group that carries the load. The larger the group the better the chances of quality supportive members with new ideas. However we wouldn't need as much bandwidth and fancy servers if the takers weren't just hanging on.
    Just rambling thoughts that fell on to the keyboards here. Any other ideas.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Like Tyler, I've often thought this. Even went as far as "challenging" folks to start posting back in Jan. Yes, I've got a BIG mouth and will often get a bit too long-winded and not have enough answers for folks. But, as the other guys have inferred, even replies w/o a real answer will often spark further discussion, frequently ending up with the info the original poster was looking for. Yes, sometimes it's just "dribble" and I'm guilty of that, as well but, that same "dribble" may have put a smile on someone's face and then it was worth the bandwidth.

Speaking of bandwidth, Tyler makes a great point about the use of that bandwidth. If we had more participation from those who just "take", it would be worth a little slower response or it would be more worth opting for communication lines/gear to gain back the speed. Yes, I realize that this and most any other forum out there is generally for the distribution of information. But, that information has to culminate from somewhere and, in the case of forums, from its membership. A forum distributes its information in an exchange type fashion, not simply as a reference database. A forum is very dynamic in nature and in constant change. Yet, if the viewing membership elects to just take information from the forum and not to contribute to its information base and exchange, the dynamics of that forum will change. Things will start to get "stale", if you will.

FWIW, I'd be happy to shut my yap some more if some of the other "viewers" stepped up to the plate and gave us a bit of their insight, tips, instruction(s) or just share about a current/past/upcoming project. Ask the questions, which may not have found answers for. Don't wait for someone else to ask them. If you wait too long, the person who may have had your ideal answer may have moved on, because it got too stale for him/her! Something to think about....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    In every group there are those that participate, and those that just take. In every club/forum there is usually a core group that carries the load.
    I couldn't agree with you more... I am involved in my son's ice hockey association. The board of directors and a few other positions are held by people who volunteer. I've been absent from the Creek since last fall while I served on the board. I had little or no free time to do woodworking much less paddle around the creek.

We're looking for people to fill in vacant positions for next year. What I find most interesting is the parents who complained and criticized the most refuse to step up and take on the positions they seemed to think they could do so much better than those who did the work. I've approached several of the complainers and said, "You had a lot of really great ideas this year. Can I sign you up to be on the board for next season?" From their reaction, you'd think I had just asked them for a kidney.

Now that hockey season is over, I have started visiting regularly. The thing that amazed me most upon my return is the same handful of Creekers are so active, I wonder how they can have any time left to do any woodworking.

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Post
    The thing that amazed me most upon my return is the same handful of Creekers are so active, I wonder how they can have any time left to do any woodworking.

-Kevin
    That's because some of us are lucky enough to have a job where we can check in during the day

Oops gotta log off boss is coming
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    That's because some of us are lucky enough to have a job where we can check in during the day
    Jeff -

You hit the nail on the head! Works for me, too!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    The top 20 posters (I was tied for #18), or about .46% of the membership, have contributed about 28% of the total number of posts (43,000+ out of 154,000+)

There are 1786 members (of 4336 at this writing), or 41%, who have NEVER posted. Among those are a pretty good number of "illegal" user names, but I didn't count--I estimate a couple hundred or so at most.
    The memberlist isn't totally representative, so I pulled some extra stats from the database. Remember these are only registered users, and we run about 50% members and 50% guests most of the time. Several guests are members who have not logged in for a long time, but are still active in reading the 'Creek:
    • We have a 60% activity rate (log in) for registered users.
    • 30% of registered members have posted in the last month (very high)
    • Only 10% of the membership hasn't logged in for 1 year (though they may still be visiting as guests)
    • 31% of the "guests" in the past week are actually registered members who haven't logged in (based on ip address)
    I will probably start pruning inactive accounts next year, not that they take up space.

Things to take away:
    • 1 out of every 2 members who logs in, posts. (50% participation per month)
    Take a look at my stats post in the Support Forum to see how the number of new threads, new posts, and new registered members grow together.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Jeff -

You hit the nail on the head! Works for me, too!

Ted
    Or some of us are lucky enough to be retired and, like me, can every now and then stop their current task and check in on the the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    The memberlist isn't totally representative, so I pulled some extra stats from the database. Remember these are only registered users, and we run about 50% members and 50% guests most of the time. Several guests are members who have not logged in for a long time, but are still active in reading the 'Creek:
    • We have a 60% activity rate (log in) for registered users.
    • 30% of registered members have posted in the last month (very high)
    • Only 10% of the membership hasn't logged in for 1 year (though they may still be visiting as guests)
    • 31% of the "guests" in the past week are actually registered members who haven't logged in (based on ip address)
    I will probably start pruning inactive accounts next year, not that they take up space.

Things to take away:
    • 1 out of every 2 members who logs in, posts. (50% participation per month)
    Take a look at my stats post in the Support Forum to see how the number of new threads, new posts, and new registered members grow together.
    Thanks for the further insight Aaron. I do think that it is appropriate to eliminate accounts who have not logged on for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    The memberlist isn't totally representative, so I pulled some extra stats from the database. (snip)
    Thanks, Aaron...that adds a little background for those of us who can't just pull up the database and mine it a bit.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Like with many thigs in life...you get out what you contribute. I really appreciate the great active members we have, often it is the same guys, which is fine. The others are missing out, in my opinion. I have learned a great deal here just explaining what I am doing , or how I feel. I have learned a great deal just trying to answer others questions....it makes you think. If you love creative woodworking you found a wonderful place...join in there is much to share...and these wonderful SMC members are truly friends!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

The only thing I will add is that I did an "un-scientific" survey at another site. When I asked why they don't post, on one answered. HMMMMMMMMMM (No one, that is that didn't normally post!)

I guess that there are those who want to join in and those that only want to see what's there. I hope they learn something so that their looking is of value to them.

Bruce

I would be very hesitant to say that folks who primarily lurk "miss out" since everyone who visits these forums can learn a great deal. But I do believe that participation greatly enhances the experience and makes the community richer for everyone. So I do encourage everyone to chime in, ask question, add comments and generally be an active participant of SMC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello.. hehe !

I'm a new member. But i am here to learn, i dont have a laser. Been wanting one for some time but i am trying to get a cnc router to expand my business right now. I hope i can get a laser in the future. I have specific things i want to do but money is the issue. I am a woodcarver, thats what i do for a living. Well, its what i have been doing for a living. i am having physical problems and am kinda side stepping what i do. Getting automated. If everything goes through. So, i am a "lurker" at present. I am a member in several forums, cnc and others. I'm trying to educate myself before hand. This forum is really quite good. I have read some very interesting things. I used to do signs on the side. I have an older gerber gs15plus plotter. I check in here almost daily, hoping to read more interesting posts. and see the creativity of those lucky enough to own a laser. I dont have anything to add at this time except questions maybe. Thanks for letting me be a part of this forum. Sincerely, rick woodward