Thread: "Cherry" Finish question

"Cherry" Finish question

I have been commissioned to build a display case for the school I teach part time at. They want the finish to match the other book cases and tables in the area. These items are the "cherry" finish sawdust book cases you buy at the big box stores. I looked at the transtint dye selection at Rockler and the water-based dye stains from General Finish. The closest thing I have seen is the Merlot from GF. I don't have a supplier close by, so I can't see the colors in person.

Is the Merlot a close fit to the cherry finish typically seen on the big box pieces?

Thanks,
    Chad

It is very difficult to guide you when words are used to discribe a color. The marketing guys at the manufactures pick their words to emphisize the cashflow not discribe a color.

What type of wood do you plan to use? Different woods accept stain and dye to different degrees and intensities.

You will most likely need to dye the wood to get a good base color, then maybe a stain, then seal it, then possibly a toner, seal it again, then maybe even a glaze coat. Now you are ready to top coat it.

Post a picture and we may be able to help a bit more.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

What Scott said...work with dyes to come up with something that is reasonably close, but don't forget your top coat finish will also influence the color so be sure to put the entire finishing regimen on your test pieces at least through the first coat or so of your final finishing product.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The best advice I can give you is this:

If you are not prepared to deliver an exact match - set their expectations NOW that you can get it close - but it won't be an exact match.

Doing the above SO takes the pressure off.

Todd

Todd,

Great advice... Why didn't I think of that?

I tend to get jobs after someone else has set the expectations, then can't deliver. Some colors are more difficult to match than others... I'm told I tend charge more than other finishers.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

To me a "cherry finish" can mean two things: a stain or dye with a considerable amount of red, or one that is a medium brown that mimics cherry wood. If you mean the first one, the GF gel stain is pretty red. I think if you look around, there are other choices as well.

When you say "sawdust" furniture, do you mean flatpack stuff?

Blog Entries
    My recommendation would be to suggest that since the new bookcases will be significantly different (better quality ) that it would be a better idea to not try to match but make them distinctively their own. Might not work but worth a try.