Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Uses for an Angle Grinder

Shop Uses for an Angle Grinder

I'd value some advice. I need to buy an angle grinder to grind down some concrete and remove some tile mortar before re-tiling over it. I don't see myself doing much work of this nature in the future, but this job needs doing, and it needs a grinder.

So my choices are 1) Buy a cheap and nasty one from HF and more or less consider it a one-job tool, cost about $25. 2) Buy a better one and expect to use it in the future if a need arises. Cost up to $100. 3) Buy a good one because there's a use for it in the shop and I want it to last. Perhaps up to $150 (That would buy a Bosch Litheon to match other Bosch tools I have).

However, I can't think of a good job for the shop for one. I don't particularly like the idea of spending money on a disposable tool, but neither do I want money tied up in a rarely used tool. I do like playing with OWWM, but I can't see me needing to grind the things too much. Am I missing a shop application?

Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 01-10-2012 at 8:15 PM.

I bought a cheap $30 angle grinder years ago and it didn't get much use on metal in my shop. I took off the grinder blade and fitted it with a Lancelot carving head (Lee Valley). It's quite handy to quickly rough out a piece and you have a surprising amount of control over how much material is removed. I found the carving head on a LV sale table and figure I've got $50 invested in the whole rig.

Regards,

Ron

For woodworking, I use mine to help me strip bark off of live edges.

I have also seen David Marks use a grinder for sculpting work (like the divots for your butt on a stool).

Actually I've been grappling with the same issue so your post is timely...need a grinder for a one-off job and wondering what else you can do with one. I'm looking at a fairly expensive one (Makita 5-inch) because my one-off job is cutting granite. It has a pretty wide speed range that almost dips into polisher realm, though it might still be too fast for most polishing tasks.

As far as I can tell, cutting metal and shaping wood are the only major shop uses and like you, I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase.

I've seen one used with some kind of blade to carve out chair seats.

Consider gettin a mid priced grinder ($40)

I have a 12 year old skil I paid $20 for that is still going strong and a 3 year old makita I got on sale for $25.

Used with:

Kutzall discs for carving seats
    Grinding discs for grinding welds.
    Cutting discs for cutting metal and old padlocks.
    Sanding disc for shaping
    Diamond blades for cutting concrete or tile.

MK

Thanks guys! Come to think of it, I have a granite slab that needs the edges tidying up before becoming a big shop table, but I had my circular saw in mind for that, if I don't pay a granite guy. Perhaps I could rig up a sled of sorts so it cuts more like a circ saw. I like the idea of carving chair bases too, so perhaps the HF idea isn't such a good one.

I'd be really tempted to buy one new, also. Angle grinders are a tool that gets used up over time and you have to replace them. I think that's why you see such big piles of them in pawn shops...

I've seen countertop guys take smaller granite pieces outside, mark with a piece of blue tape and freehand cuts with a harbor freight grinder. I've got a couple pieces of granite I was thinking of trimming for end table tops and was considering buying one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/safety-...ers-45921.html

On another forum, trim guys have said they were great for doing cope joints. I'd guess they were using the sandpaper "flap disks" but I don't know.

The HF one can be had for 15 dollars or so when on sale. I've only used it for cutting a line in a plaster wall and some other odd masonry things. I don't have any complaints.

Blog Entries
    My dad bought the HF for about $10 and it has done everything he or I needed. My HF recip saw is something I bought for one demo job 7 years ago. They are noisy, they vibrate and sound like every job will be their last but, they keep on going. Don't get me wrong. As far as a serious tool, they are a joke but, for the times I needed them (and dozens of times beyond my expectations) they were fine. Look at it this way; spend $10 - $15 and if you find out you use it a lot, then buy a good one. Just like router bits ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

HF (95578) is on sale this week end for $9.99. Buy a hand full, or least two in case the first should quit.

Interesting that you mentioned OWWM. I have a weakness for old iron and use mine a lot with a wire wheel on rusty saw tables and removing paint. Even put a flapper sanding disk on and shape things in the wood lathe that have a habit of chipping out. Have two 4-1/2" and like the cheap Skill one best.

Mark, I don't know what types of things you work on in your shop, but as for mine ....
    I wouldn't want to be in the shop without it! I do some wood working, some metal working, some repair work on all kinds and types of things, and the more I use it the more useful it becomes. I was in HF the other day, just looking around at a newly opened store and was thinking about buying one of the circular rasp type blades they have to use on the 4" side grinder I have in the shop.It may be one of those things I wish that I had bought but didn't pick up at that time.If you are like me and do a little welding and cutting of steel...nothing like it when it's time to clean up a weld or cut line on some assembled parts, makes it look a lot better in the end! Pick one up...you won't regret it later, they are always handy to have around. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
    Interesting that you mentioned OWWM. I have a weakness for old iron and use mine a lot with a wire wheel on rusty saw tables and removing paint. Even put a flapper sanding disk on and shape things in the wood lathe that have a habit of chipping out. Have two 4-1/2" and like the cheap Skill one best.
    I've got a Dewalt, mostly because the local Borg had them on the shelf and it looked like the best of the lot. I bought it specifically to use with a wire brush. I used it to clean up my CL florescent light fixtures aftr i tore them down, pulled the old ballasts and sockets, and repainted. Did a great job. I'll be using it when I get to my Unisaw refurb for the same tasks.