Thread: Felder Combination Machine / Planer Question

Felder Combination Machine / Planer Question

How easy is it to adjust the infeed / outfeed rollers on the jointer / planer part of a felder combination machine? I picked up a CF 731 Pro a couple months ago and have been putting it through all the usual tasks. I'll admit that once I moved the machine into my shop I did a very cursory check to make sure everything was square and level and then started to use the machine. I did not go over it with a fine tooth comb as the previous owner and I talked about how it had been running.

What I've noticed is that when planing the boards are not being fed smoothly through the machine. The board will jamb on the outfeed roller and then continue on after a little push and then may or may not get stuck later on in its journey through the machine. The machine will still take a full width cut (12") and the cut quality is perfectly acceptable. There is more vibration on the piece as it goes through then I would like to see as well.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I have enough experience tuning up woodworking machines that I'm not scared of the task. I'm just not sure where to start on the Felder as the manual is well.... ummm.... sparse.

I'd like to have this beast running in peak shape.

thanks,
    Charlie

There is a Felder Owner Group on Yahoo that is helpful. In addition David Best has written the Felder Survival guide that covers anything and everything Felder and although not cheap, well worth the cost. I know the problems you are describing are common and have been dealt with by the group. Dave

I cant speak for the CF731, but I have adjusted the outfeed roller on my A3-31 and it was not too difficult. I'd recemmond Davids advice or call to the east coast Felder store and speak with Mark. He will know exactly what to do in your situation, he is a very nice guy to deal with also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Just today I posted the same issue on FOG with my AD751 as my machine has recently started doing the same thing (shortly after planing a lot of very pitchy gooey pine). I'm going to wax my table and see if that resolves the issue.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Just today I posted the same issue on FOG with my AD751 as my machine has recently started doing the same thing (shortly after planing a lot of very pitchy gooey pine). I'm going to wax my table and see if that resolves the issue.

Todd
    I'll admit to not having waxed the bed, either. We don't wax the bed at work and haven't had a problem so I never really gave it much thought in this instance. I've had to wax the bed at other jobs when we had much smaller planers and they needed all the help they could get. It has been really humid in Atlanta lately.

I'll look through the Survival Guide. I think I left it at my shop (I don't want to drive to get it). I'll poke through it tomorrow afternoon.

I posted the same question on the Felder Group but am waiting authorization from a moderator. We'll see what suggestions they have!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post

Todd
    I'd say its shot.....if you could get me your address I can come take it off your hands for you. Maybe leave you a well tuned A3-31 in its place?? An AD741 is on my list of tools "I will own" one day.

A good cleaning and waxing of the tables is what I'd recemmond for Charles also, that seems to be the main cause for feeding issues with Felder combo machines. If mine starts to slip a little, I know its time for wax.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I have an AD 751 and when is starts to act up like you are explaining I usually clean and use Boeshield on the bed. That always has taken care of the problem. Not to say you might be ready for an adjustment but I'd go the way of cleaning and waxing/lubricating of the bed first. Also, before starting to adjust things on that machine you might want to mark the starting positions of the adjustment bolts. This way you know where home is in the event you would like to return to that position for some reason. You now have a very nice and expensive machine and very good support group in FOG. These are not you fathers Olivers and such that go out of wack often. I for one have had 3 Felder machines since 04 and have not recalibrated any of them since I originally set them up. Most times its something simple like the waxing...One of the prime offenders of not planing well in my machine is construction grade pine. Like 2x8's and so on. If I need to run down construction grade lumber I always Boeshield the bed first. I believe construction grade lumber is about 15 percent moisture content not 7 or 8 like we are use to. Just something to remember

enjoy your new machine
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 01-11-2012 at 3:30 AM.

I have a SCM S520 that does that exact same thing when it is time to polish a bit as did my 225 before that.

I did notice that when I was in the shop more that it was less of an issue, and as you mentioned it was not necessary on a machine at work it just may be that corrosion happens, and the frequent use keeps them polished. That has been my theory anyway.

Try wax, what do you have to lose? Wax on, Wax off, Wax on, Wax off.........

Larry

Yes, step one is to break out the paste wax...............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Yes, step one is to break out the paste wax...............Rod.
    Step two is to plane boards. I just took a block of paraffin (the same stuff i use on my handplanes) and rubbed it on. Things are smooth again. I never thought it would be the wax. I thought something had worked itself loose while in transport and had decided to just now show itself.

I get the same problem with my laguna J/P machine. I really have to stay on top of keeping the tables waxed. I made the mistake of assuming it was my feed roller pressure too and spent a bunch of unnecessary time trying to adjust it. Waxed the table and boom, back in business.

I still don't think I've learned the lesson: work down the list of possible causes in order of simplicity.

Glad you're up and running!

Charlie,

I was having the same problems with my A3-31. I talked to Felder rep and he indeed alluded to the same conclusion you have come to. Anytime it hangs up, it has been because of the wax. I wax mine all the time and do not have those problems anymore.

Nick

Felder Combination Machine / Planer Question

Hi Charles
    Congradulations, Thats a great machine,

Looks like you are getting some good advise. I would add that you should clean all the cast iron surfaces and then treat them. If you have questions, you should always call and talk to one of the service techs, I always used wax until I tried the Felder Super Gleit spray # 10.0.010. More inportant is to know your recomended maintenace. A lot of guys by used machines and do not do the maintenance. If you don't have the owners manual, we can email you the lilnk to down load the PDF. We also have some nice PDFs that were done by servise to cover maintence and adjustments.

Just waxed my table - all is well in the world.

This isn't the first time I've waxed it, (I've had it since 2004), and I've obviously waxed it often enough before, but I guess the pitchy pine scrubbed off enough to show the no-wax behavior.

Todd

(Carl - still looking for a reply to my PM)

can i get the pdf file? i too am looking at a felder j/p ad951