Thread: Plastic or Aluminum for outdoors?

Plastic or Aluminum for outdoors?

Hi all,
    I have a job where they want 200 tags 5" x 3" that will be put on outdoor electrical cabinets.
    I've presented both Anodized Aluminum as one option, and Rowmark Lasermax or MetalGraph Plus.
    I would be using my laser to mark them.

Any opinions on which would hold up longer?

Thanks for the help
    Pat.

Patrick,

I've done alot of plastic signage used on aviation specific equipment that works only outside with great results. The weather hasn't hurt any of the signage after 3 years of service. I wll say they do get dirty but clean up well with mild detergent and a wipe or soft scrub. I can not say anything either way about the aluminum tags.

Frank
    Epilog Helix 35W, Corel Draw 12

Aluminum will hold up longer but anodizing does not hold up well to wear and tear. It scratches easily. Plastic is more durable but also will only last so long before it starts to look bad. How long depends on the conditions of exposure.

In the end, either works fine. I think aluminum sublimation would probably hold up the best to be perfectly honest but either of your choices will work.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I would do these in acrylic and paint fill , that will withstand many years of abuse , a little more work and you will struggle to get acrylic thinner than 1/8" , if thats acceptable,.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Pat

Long time no see.

After using anodized for outdoor projects for years I have switched to plastic Rowmark type material. One of my former customers, Missouri Botanical Gardens, told me about the success they have had with Rowmark as an outdoor material versus anodized and that was the reason I switched. They have thousands of outdoor plant identification signs. (Drat--they bought their own machine)

Besides the durability, the contrast is significantly better.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 01-11-2012 at 6:13 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks all. I've been using Lasermax for my electrical legend plates for years and your all right they have held up well. I just don't have any experience with anodized outdoors. Thanks for all your input.
    Pat.

Aluminum and salt water don't play nice together so if it will be near the ocean, I would strongly recommended plastic.

These are for electrical panels at campsites in Oklahoma and Texas. Your right, that could be an issue in Texas.
    Thanks for the insight.
    Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    I would do these in acrylic and paint fill , that will withstand many years of abuse , a little more work and you will struggle to get acrylic thinner than 1/8" , if thats acceptable,.
    Rodney, do you feel that's a better solution then LaserMax? Seem's like a lot more work and most of the Acrylic I've worked with, seems to get pretty brittle with age and cold weather. Thanks for your input.

The plastics with thin caps , no matter which , do tend to degrade quite a lot under UV or harsh conditions ,its worse if they have any ABS in the base material , they will harden and crack relatively quickly. This may or may not be a problem. We did tons of labels for a nuke power reactor and they rejected just about all plastics except acrylic for all labels
    They did some serious tests , lasermax wasn't put forward as one of these materials , so I dunno if it was any different.
    I have never seen acrylic get brittle with age , we have many acrylic signs/items we made out there that are in excess of 15 yrs old and they still look good. It is also cheaper for material , but will require more power or substantially longer engraving times to get a deep engraving enough to take a messy and time consuming fill.. LOT's more work so if you can get away with easier stuff, I would definately go for it.
    Some anodised stuff in my engine bays of various hipo cars I owned looked great 5 years or more on in an engine bay *very harsh environment* , some corroded in that time period or faded , but that , imo , was due to poor anodising , dyeing or sealing or having the anodised layer being mechanically damaged. The laser actually doesnt mess up the anodising if used correctly , it merely leaches the colour out of the dyes used on the anodised ally
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rowmark Metalgraph Plus works great. It is designed for outdoor use and engraves nicely.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Roos, dye sublimation? I don't believe sublimated product could stand the UV for long. Maybe if you couted them
    they might last longer. Am I wrong on this?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

We have Metalgraph+ signs that have been in the tropical sun and close to the ocean for years and stil look new. HOWEVER, we also have put some up where they were vigorously cleaned and it is quite clear that both abrasive cleaners and alcohol will ruin Metalgraph+ completely.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.