Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angle Tool

Angle Tool

The awards company I used to work for had a tool that sat inside the laser machine and would raise up the acrylic piece so that you could etch on the top of slanted items. For example if you wanted to etch on the top of the diamond tower (see picture) the tool would raise the piece up to where you could level the top of the piece. I can not find it online anywhere. Anyone have any ideas on where to find this tool or has anyone made something to do this type of etching?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Fuller

Pro LF Series 48x36 CO2 100 Watt Laser
    2 Crystal Blast sand carving booths
    2 26-1KS Exposure units
    Corel X5
    Illustrator CS4

I would imagine a simple beanbag would do the job easily.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I have done that piece and used the same jig I use for cylindrical objects less one end. It's a simple "V" mounted perpendicular on a flat board. The use a level to position it to focus.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike... the V mount is the simple part... how did you get it to slant up so that the top was level? Did you just wedge something under the flat board?
    Mike Fuller

2 26-1KS Exposure units
    Corel X5
    Illustrator CS4

No, I put a stop at the end of the crystal on the base board to hold it in position. I'll be doing another tomorrow. (engraving through a mask then sandblasting)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I do tons of crystal base for globes, (I'll post a photo later) I made a wedge to slide under the base until it's level.
    I have a stop to hold the backside then push the wedge forward (underneath the base) until its level. Then tape the wedge
    into position so it doesn't move. I have tried beanbags, sand. "Space Sand", modeling clay non seemed to work.
    If the manufacteres came up with a ready made jig for these odd shaped items and charged areasonable price
    they would probably sell more pieces!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

You can make your own sine plate by using 2 boards with a hinge on 1 end and use a slotted bars with a finger screws on the sides to set the height. Then can clamp your holding fixture to that to mark on angular surface like you would do if marking on the flat.

GDG

Is this what you were looking for ?? From LaserBits
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

I tired the bean bags and the different props when I did a few of those. In the end, I used a dry oasis that they you get from a florist shop. You line it up and press it down until the face is level. Worked fine and managed to complete about 15 using the same piece.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Is this what you were looking for ?? From LaserBits
    I tried searching for this and couldn't find anything from LaserBits.
    Do you have a link for it?

Thanks
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Scanned from a 2005 catalog. Should be able to call 1-800-733-7705 and see who made them or where they purchased them from. Please share info.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Mark,

That is the one I was looking for. Spoke to LaserBits and the item has been discontinued. The search continues.
    Mike Fuller

2 26-1KS Exposure units
    Corel X5
    Illustrator CS4

It's such a simple device, why don't you put your laser to work and make one yourself? It's basically just a baseplate with an upper inclining plate hinged to it at the right and a lower inclining plate nested into and hinged (pinned) to the baseplate at the left, with the right side of the lower inclining plate connected (probably with another pin) to the tabs of the sliding stop/actuator that ride in the two slots of the upper inclining plate. Thumbscrew used to lock the desired angle. Sidewall seems optional.

-Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    It's such a simple device, why don't you put your laser to work and make one yourself? It's basically just a baseplate with an upper inclining plate hinged to it at the right and a lower inclining plate nested into and hinged (pinned) to the baseplate at the left, with the right side of the lower inclining plate connected (probably with another pin) to the tabs of the sliding stop/actuator that ride in the two slots of the upper inclining plate. Thumbscrew used to lock the desired angle. Sidewall seems optional.

-Glen
    Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the jig than to figure the cost (your time) to make it.
    I do make most of mine. It surprizes me that with the market for jigs that there aren't
    more available on the market. Gravograph has a few, but they (Gravograph) haven't
    been the easist to deal with.

Machining companies have all sorts of vises etc, but the cost is incredible!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the jig than to figure the cost (your time) to make it.
    True that, but he's been searching for over a month now. Could design and make it in less than an hour and I'll bet he's spent more time than that looking for one.

-Glen