Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about the new LV Carcass Saw

A question about the new LV Carcass Saw

Hi all,
    today i've received one of my LV christmas gifts, the new Veritas rip carcass saw.I've opened the box but the handle of the new saw seems different from the handle of the veritas dovetail saw or the knobs and handles of my others Veritas planes.
    What do you think about?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio Musto View Post
    Hi all,
    today i've received one of my LV christmas gifts, the new Veritas rip carcass saw.I've opened the box but the handle of the new saw seems different from the handle of the veritas dovetail saw or the knobs and handles of my others Veritas planes.
    What do you think about?

Hi Eugenio,

the carcass handle is from a flatsaw board, while the others are from rift or quatersawn boards.

I don't think that will cause any problem in bubinga.

Cheers
    Pedder

BINGO.... I would agree.

Other than the grain direction... There is no difference right?
    Still pretty good looking saw IMO.
    Steven Thomas

Thanks for the replies.
    Anyone know if i can buy a replacement handle from rift or quatersawn boards, like the ones of the dovetail saw or the others LV planes?

Why not wait until the saw fairy brings you the LV crosscut carcass saw, see what handle arrives on it, and then use the grain patterns to make a quick visual ID of which saw is which?

Any two wooden handles are going to look different from each other. They're wood, and wood varies; it's not steel or plastic.
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 12-10-2010 at 3:12 PM.

A couple things come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio Musto View Post
    Hi all,
    What do you think about?

1. It think it looks pretty darn nice.

2. Having matching grain patterns is a bit much to ask I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Actually, it would never have occurred to me that something was amiss.

Eugenio,

I have a great idea..... if you want them both to look the same, wrap some black electrical tape around both handles. Or..................Paint them both John Deere green.

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

I'm sure if you telephone LV, they will look through inventory to find a couple of saws with handles that match.

Hey Eugenio...

Contact me by email... I'll what the elves can do...

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    1. It think it looks pretty darn nice.

2. Having matching grain patterns is a bit much to ask I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Actually, it would never have occurred to me that something was amiss.
    That tote, unlike a conventional saw, has no influence on the saw plate beyond its ability to twist the tote screw (which isn't much or at all given that it's probably kiln dried stock), so it's not vital that it's quartered or rift, anyway.

Sounds like the day is saved, but really, even if it wasn't, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hey Eugenio...

Cheers -

Rob

You are an amazing man. Customer service like this is so rare these days. If I lived in Canada I would want to work for your company.

Everytime somebody has any little issue of any sort you are here before the day is out and solving the problem.

Thanks.

Talking What elves do

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hey Eugenio...

Cheers -

Rob
    Are the elves busy making large tenon saws too?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Grady View Post
    Are the elves busy making large tenon saws too?
    Well.... the elves are working on the tooling....it will take us to the limit of that technology... target date is next fall.

Cheers -

Rob

I have the pair, and I must say they work great. I also have the Grammercy sash and Wenzloff panel and these two are in the same league in performance for an unbeatable price.

I am lusting after a Bad Axe large tennon, but if I hold out I would get the LV one in a heartbeat based on the way the carcass saws perform.

Hurry Rob! LOL