Thread: Festool vacuum question

Festool vacuum question

I currently have the Festool track and jig saws. I'll be adding a sander or two in the near future. In addition to getting one of the longer track saw rails, I'm also going to get one of their vacuums. I don't feel compelled to buy the most expensive one that they sell, but I'd like to buy once and be happy with what I purchased. Woodworking is a hobby, I'm lucky to get a weekend in the shop a few times a month. I would like to be able to use that boom think that holds the hose up and out of the way. Any suggestions on which model to get?

2. I have a Mini, the cheapest one. It works fine. Even though the bag is very small (2.6 gal I think), it packs the dust in very tightly so I'm only on the second bag after six months. I wanted the Midi, which is the same as the Mini except with a bigger bag, but the dealer didn't have one. Anyway, I don't know how well the Mini or Midi would work with a sander, given its small capacity bag. I use it with the track saw, the Domino, and the mid-sized router. I don't have any regrets, or desire to upgrade.

A friend of mine that researches everything to the nth degree said that all the festool vacs have the same suction. The only difference is the size of the bag. I haven't tried to confirm or dispute his finding.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The numbered vacs all have the same specs (137CFM/96" lift) but the Mini/Midi are smaller at 99/80. Within those two categories, the difference is just size.

I've got a CT22 and the size has been fine especially now that I've got a Dust Deputy on top and virtually nothing makes it to the bag.

You'll need to start with the CT 26 in order to use the boom arm with the Festool vacuum. The Mini/Midi series can't accommodate that accessory. Otherwise, motor specs and suction are the same for all current models.

The festool vacuums use a motor and bag technology so the suction power decreases as the bag gets filled up. Hence the bigger unit will have longer lasting suction compared to the smaller units.

However I found that I can get the most of out my festool vacuum by connecting it to a mini cyclone. Clearvue has one and so does Oneida.

I put my festool CT33 on a cart with casters and the cyclone is use bolts to the cart beacuse I was tired of it tipping over. The outfeed for the hose is up high on the cart which makes getting a boom arm obsolete because your cyclone will be the point of intake connection for the hose.

The bucket fills up, you can use a plastic bag liner inside the bucket for easy cleanings.

You must use the maximum power setting for the vacuum for the cyclone to work best, but I now find my cart quite versatile and convenient for connecting to various tools or for quick cleanings.

I find that the Hepa filter and vacuum bag inside my CT33 lasts an extremely long time and the suction stays consistently strong when you use the cyclone separator.

So consider using the budget from the boom arm for making a fancy mobile cart with a cyclone unit on top.

It seems like I remember the smaller vacuums not having the same HEPA filtration. I could be totally wrong on that though. If you do get one, make sure it has HEPA. and as someone already suggested, get the dust deputy for it. Killer system.

That said, FWW just did a tool review on this class of vacuum and rated the Bosch as best overall. Might be worth taking a look at that one too.

I have been well pleased with my CT33. I would by another.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The numbered vacs all have the same specs (137CFM/96" lift) but the Mini/Midi are smaller at 99/80. Within those two categories, the difference is just size.

I've got a CT22 and the size has been fine especially now that I've got a Dust Deputy on top and virtually nothing makes it to the bag.
    I think as of October all the Festool dust collectors are now 137CFM/96" and Hepa.

I just sent one of the Minis back this week that I got for Xmas. I loved it on my sanders and tracksaw but had an issue of the power cords not staying in the front auto receptacle, as for my other tools it just could not keep up. its just no match for my Delta 50-760 DC on my larger tools. I did think it performed very well with my Festool products as I expected. I also noted as the bag filled up the dramatic loss in suction. I was not impressed with it as a vac my riged performs better, most likely due to the larger 2.5" hose. I also managed to plug-up the hepa filter using my sander with fine paper.

I may try one of the larger models at a later date. I did enjoy the low noise level it produced.

From Festools site
    Festool CT MINI & MIDI models get an upgrade.Continuing to raise the bar in performance, Festool has made some improvements to the CT MINI and MIDI. New units will come standard with a HEPA filter factory installed and the new self-cleaning filter bags that were introduced last year in the CT 26 and CT 36. And, the best part... the price remains unchanged.
    Last edited by Bill Trouard; 01-11-2012 at 8:05 PM.

I have a CT33 and you would have to shoot me to get it. I only use it for my Festool machines. I've taken the CT33 onsite as well - it's just as portable as a Rigid or Craftsman Shop Vac (and quieter).

I would buy it again. The boom arm would be a nice addition.

Todd

Looks like the CT33 is what I want. Looks like i can get it in a bundle with one of the sanders I want for close to $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Looks like the CT33 is what I want. Looks like i can get it in a bundle with one of the sanders I want for close to $800.
    The current model is a CT36. The old model was the CT33. The CT 36 has more suction & a larger bag than the CT33.