Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Customers...!!...

In this day and age I don't feel 10% mark up for any thing is outrageous. Gas fluctuates more than that daily!

A way to compromise (if you like) is agree to not charge for the first few plates to be engraved. It doesn't take much
    time to do this. The plates have been paid for with the plaque. So I think that would be a good way to handle it.

I also quote with a time frame limit as well as include the "buffer" (we have all seen this before) pricing may change
    without notification. Untill there is committment (an order placed and signed) I don't feel an order has been placed,
    do what you feel is reasonable for you and them.

I have had a similar issue when a client put off an order and was shocked they had to pay "overnight shipping" because
    of their delay.

I have not had an overall price increase in 3 years, somethings I have finally reached a cost I had to have a decent increase.
    Take magnets for example I'm paying over 300% than 5 months ago for these. So yes you have to reflect increases at sometime
    and they can be dramatic for certain pieces.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I would approach this from a different perspective. While you might still want this customer, the facts remain that the cost of doing business went up. Therefore, to be fair to everyone, I would suggest an alternative to the item they chose, a cheaper one. This way they have the option of staying within their budget and you don't lose money on the deal. If they still want the more expensive one, they will pay for it.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I would approach this from a different perspective. While you might still want this customer, the facts remain that the cost of doing business went up. Therefore, to be fair to everyone, I would suggest an alternative to the item they chose, a cheaper one. This way they have the option of staying within their budget and you don't lose money on the deal. If they still want the more expensive one, they will pay for it.

cheers, dee
    Good in theory. In reality it's normally a waste of time. You spend 20-30 minutes pricing out different options and scanning the catalogs for them to just go back to their original choice. By the time you add up all the time you might as well give them the $45 discount.

We can quote items fast because I have a program which has every item from JDS, PDU, Marco and Freeman in it and it gives me the cost and it allows me to search via keywords and description. Even then it takes a lot of time.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

4. Hello all, this is my first post and I really didn't want to start on what looks like a negative, but this thread just kind of leapt out at me.
    I deal with many Churches and have found it a joy at times, and at others its a pain. The reason is that the person I am dealing with might or might not be business minded. That being the case, I have to guide them through the purchase (I am a rug cleaner), my terms (I have never given a written quote or conditions, and never yet had an issue) and any other information I think they need to make an informed choice/decision.

My initial thought on this situation is that in the same situation I would eat the extra $45.00 but make sure they new thats what I was doing. I would mark it on the invoice as a Price Increase Absorbed as a "gesture of goodwill"
    The last thing I want is at their next committee, to highlight how I stiffed them for an extra $45.00 (whether I did or not).

There could be any number of reasons they want to chat with you on the phone and to concern yourself with what those reasons might be, is futile.
    Get on the right side of a Church and you will develop many referrals, many of which will not require you to quote. You will have developed a relationship built on trust (and deservedly so) and your business will never look back.
    Anyhow, thats my 2 cents worth, FWIW

Cheers for now

Steve

Wow, thank you for all the comments, tips, suggestions, etc. Really didn't think I would get much of a response.

Honestly, I generally try to be reasonable & a little soft on my customers. Now I'm realizing more & more that I'm tired of bending the rules & bending over backwards for some customers. I've invested quite a bit of time into the project already (at least 7 emails, a few phone calls and 3 meetings). At this point I've come to the conclusion that the price is the price. One perp plaque rose $30 in a year but it has 60 plates on it (I'm guessing that's why the vendor went up so much). I definitely see the need for putting "this price is good for x amount of time" on my invoices. I've never had the need to until now. When I discussed all the details with them they made it seem like they would get the check right out to me, in fact they said it in an email. I know this sounds harsh (& I would never say it to the customer) but "You snooze, you lose." That's my attitude at the moment. I gave them plenty of opportunity & if you wait that long, well you have to pay the price, literally.

Religious orgs make up a fair amount of "bad" deals in my place , we treat 'em VERY warily , espcially new customers.
    Essentially the original deal is a year in the making , the deal is struck and still no cash a momth on ... Feels like this might just be a $400 loss...call me a sceptic....
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Over my career as a pastor I have worked in many different churches. I am in one now that is functional and efficient - good people and good systems. But in addition to a lot of us pastors being strange, non-business types, we sometimes work with churches that are so "interesting". The trustees can argue about the oddest little details into eternity (and maybe literally!)

We had about a thousand dollars worth of water damage at one church because the trustee chair had lived through the great depression and didn't buy a new washer for a plumbing repair. He had one in his tin can that fit, so why waste money?

So just walk an honest path and let the church figure out how they can respond.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Actually Dee, That is something I do also. I try the best that I can to quickly get budgets and time frames out in the
    conversation. This saves both of us time. If the budget doesn't cover a solid walnut plaque then I really don't spend too much time
    on that. On the extreme end...HeHeHe... I have a list of Dollor stores, scrapbook shops etc. When I find out they think my pricing
    for metal plates is way out of line I suggest a "High End" metallic card stock that they get and print with their laser printer.
    Some actually liked the idea most end up with the plates as that is what they want. \*L*/
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    All perspective I guess. To me that is blatant mark up because you can.
    I guess so, if you ever have any old Harleys or antique cars you want to sell, i'll take them at the original cost from the manufacturer at the time they were made.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pabia View Post
    I guess so, if you ever have any old Harleys or antique cars you want to sell, i'll take them at the original cost from the manufacturer at the time they were made.
    Wow, with exaggeration like that you'd make a great political speech writer. Sitting on stock for a month does not equal waiting for a car to be come a classic vehicle.

But if your offer for anything like that stands I have some computers in the back that were $2000 new. I'll GLADLY sell them to you for that price.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    Wow, with exaggeration like that you'd make a great political speech writer. Sitting on stock for a month does not equal waiting for a car to be come a classic vehicle.

But if your offer for anything like that stands I have some computers in the back that were $2000 new. I'll GLADLY sell them to you for that price.
    LOL....thanks, but I have enough trouble with the computer I already have. And yes, that was a big stretch but I had to go for it, it shows that prices do change and we are not ready to sell something at the original price but rather at replacement value. Again, this is just my opinion and worth every penny that was paid for it.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

So I never received a call from the customer but I did just receive an email (luckily no complaint about price increase). Customer said he has check in hand for $295.00, wants me to complete both orders (which totals $440) then he will pay 2nd amount when he comes to pickup the plaques (he says he wants to check them out 1st before paying 2nd amount). Normally it wouldn't really concern me too much but with this customer I feel like I'm kinda being jerked around. He seems nice, has been polite but I have my concerns seeing as how it has taken them so long to figure out what they wanted & then this payment issue I've been having. What I think I might say is that I will complete the $295 plaque. He can come in & look @ it & he can bring me a check for the next plaque. I would like to be able to order everything together from the vendor to save on shipping but I'd rather be safe than sorry if he doesn't come through with the extra $150. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    So I never received a call from the customer but I did just receive an email (luckily no complaint about price increase). Customer said he has check in hand for $295.00, wants me to complete both orders (which totals $440) then he will pay 2nd amount when he comes to pickup the plaques (he says he wants to check them out 1st before paying 2nd amount). Normally it wouldn't really concern me too much but with this customer I feel like I'm kinda being jerked around. He seems nice, has been polite but I have my concerns seeing as how it has taken them so long to figure out what they wanted & then this payment issue I've been having. What I think I might say is that I will complete the $295 plaque. He can come in & look @ it & he can bring me a check for the next plaque. I would like to be able to order everything together from the vendor to save on shipping but I'd rather be safe than sorry if he doesn't come through with the extra $150. What do you think?
    Liesl,
    I would stick to my guns and get all the money upfront.
    If you need the work then adjust the price to cater for the extra shipping if he insists on 2 payments. I always make sure that deposits/upfront payments cover the material costs so if there are payment problems at least you have covered that.
    Anyway good luck with this.
    Ian Franks
    Print Image / Paperkutz
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Machines - 50w chinese laser KM C454.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Ian... he has played with you too much at this point to make you comfortable about the transaction. Until I see payment in hand, I wouldn't lift another finger. If you do otherwise, he'll have ammo when he tries to get you to lower the price (and he will, you can bet your bottom on that one).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I'm with Ian... he has played with you too much at this point to make you comfortable about the transaction. Until I see payment in hand, I wouldn't lift another finger. If you do otherwise, he'll have ammo when he tries to get you to lower the price (and he will, you can bet your bottom on that one).
    Yea AFTER you have finished it for him, and he hasn't paid for it he might decide he wants to renegociate. What are you going to do then . Custom work should require payment up front; unless it is someone you have previous dealing with and know they are good for payment. It is a practice you should hold too especially with new customers until they have established themselfs with you. Keep one eye open even then. It takes a lot more work to replace lost money from non payment on something YOU have money invested in and customized and can no longer sell to someone else. Think about how much business you will have to do to make up what you can lose on someone leaving you stuck with the time and materials you spent your money on.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.