Thread: Woodcraft Grinder & Wolverine Question

Woodcraft Grinder & Wolverine Question

Just got the woodcraft slow speed grinder. I haven't ordered the wolverine yet, but will probably in the next few days. How high do I need to raise the grinder off the bench top? Do you all mount the spark shields on the grinder or are they in the way? Pics would be good if you have any of your set ups. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Heck View Post
    Just got the woodcraft slow speed grinder. I haven't ordered the wolverine yet, but will probably in the next few days. How high do I need to raise the grinder off the bench top? Do you all mount the spark shields on the grinder or are they in the way? Pics would be good if you have any of your set ups. Thanks,
    My guards are off and I have a piece of 3/4" mdf under the grinder to raise it up to the right height. The wolverine manual shows the height you need from the base of the wolverine bars to the center of the grinder wheel.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

+1 on the 3/4".
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Check out this link. It should be the instructions for the wolverine grinding jig.

http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/GJ%20Instru...ary%202010.pdf
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Just did mine last night. For me 5/8" plywood put it right in the middle of the recommended range. One problem I had is with the rubber feet off, the screws are too long to hold the metal plate onto the bottom of the base. I mounted the spark shields, but they're in the way and feel cheap.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks for the replies. I was getting ready to order the wolverine. Is this probably all I need? I can't find the vari grind on the woodcraft website. this is from crafts supllies usa. I think it is around 152. 95 with free shipping I think. Complete Wolverine Sharpening System

Includes Basic System, Vari-Grind Jig and Diamond Wheel Dresser.
    Grinder not included

Thanks for the replies. I was getting ready to order the wolverine. Is this probably all I need? I can't find the vari grind on the woodcraft website. this is from crafts supllies usa. I think it is around 152. 95 with free shipping I think. Complete Wolverine Sharpening System

Includes Basic System, Vari-Grind Jig and Diamond Wheel Dresser.
    Grinder not included

Yep, you don't need the wheel dresser. I got a $9 from woodcraft that works well enough by hand.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

I got a used Wolverine jig a couple years ago, but no docs. Just mounted my new Woodcraft slow grinder last night on the old platform, which is two 1/2" plywood boards. Seems to work fine. As for the glass shields - what's the point of those, exactly?? The sparks shoot downward, not up. I can't figure out what those guards would be protecting me from. (so, I left them off)
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

I do not use the spark shield when I'm grinding. I do put it in front of the wheel that I am NOT using to protect my arm from going into it as I concentrate and move around the tool that I am sharpening. I had a bite taken out of my arm once when the shield was not in front of the wheel that was not being used.
    Last edited by Dan Kralemann; 01-13-2012 at 1:42 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I can mount them and move them out of the way.

Thanks for the replies. I was getting ready to order the wolverine. Is this probably all I need? I can't find the vari grind on the woodcraft website.
    It's not called Vari-Grind on the Woodcraft site, for whatever reason. Here's the link - http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...nding-Jig.aspx

Actually, that is the original vari-grind. There is a Vari-Grind2 as well.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 01-13-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: clarification

You want the original Vari-grind I haven't heard of anyone that likes the 2. The clear shields do help keep the junk from the wheels from getting in your face. The spark arresters I use they keep hot sparks from coming around and burning your hand.I been using this set-up for around 12 years now and haven't had any problems from things getting in the way.All of the stuff is for safety and I do try to work safe.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I just bought one on Wed !!!! Set it up and sadly, havent needed to sharpen anything yet ..... (I try to sharpen my gouges before I close up shop for the weekend). Looking forward to it, $89 was too good to pass up!

I ordered it from Crafts Supplies usa. I was able to the the wolveine system, vari grind, and diamond wheel dresser or 152.95 shipped to door. And the wolverine and vari grind were going to be 145 plus I would have had to buy a wheel dresser and shipping. Thanks again for all the help.