Thread: My Garage Workshop with MM E16 Bandsaw and CU300 Combo

My Garage Workshop with MM E16 Bandsaw and CU300 Combo

Various people have asked about fitting combo's into a garage workshop -- I am fortunate to have taken over nearly our entire 3 car, oversized, garage and have some pictures to show how it all works. I actually have quite a bit of space -- I just need the time to clean!
    DSC_0003.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0015.jpg
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Some real nice equipment there Jeff. Lookin' gooood.

Rick Potter

It always amazes me how little space a "Euro" setup takes up. BTW did you get the E16 at the intro price way back when? I think it was like $1,000. Those that got that deal probably got the best Italian saw bargain I have ever seen new.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Very nice set up Jeff.

Thanks guys. I definitely need to clean up and organize - then ill have "before/after's" to show. Unfortunately Van, I subscribed to the "buy high/sell low" school of investing on this, my biggest WW purchase ever. I did get the E16 at a bit of a discount, around 1500, but not the STEAL like Jim O'Dell and others @ $900!

About a year after delivery, the economy had taken its nosedive and MM was "dumping" the last few CU300 for $4-5000 less than I'd paid less than a year before .... DAMHNKIT! I went to Sam's Euro workshop on the use of the machinery a year and a 1/2 after purchase and one of the attendees got the 8 ft. Slider w/ mortiser and a MM16 thrown in ... All for LESS than I'd paid. Timing ...

The machinery is very nice and I feel fortunate to have it.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

There is always a better deal if you wait LONG enough. I tend to be like you, people should pay me to buy what they want since it surely means the price will bottom out in a few months! The E16 and the Taiwanese made E14 are on my list of CL desires, I have a MM20 and a couple of other BSs but they both intrigue me. Maybe one day.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Jeff,

Nice set up. What miter guage do you have on the front of your CU300? Any close up pictures? I also have a CU300 and am always looking for ideas for jigs and accessories.

Mike

Mike, it is the Incra 1000SE. I got it on a sale at Hartville Tool a few years back for $89 bucks if I remember correctly; one of my few "bargain buys"

At the time, MM wanted $495 for theirs and, since I'd purchased the classic vs. the Smart, it was one of the goodies not included. I am fortunate to have a friend who owns a large metal mfg company in my town, so he remachined the bar so it would fit the "euro" sized slot and also machined the slide-in bolts that hook the panel table to the slider and the bigger, rectangular "nuts" that secure the MM hold-down that runs along the sliders miter slot. He threaded them in good ol' SAE 1/4 x 20 and 3/8 x 16 so I could easily get my own bolts of any length and head type at any hardware store.

I made the small miter table out of some scrap plywood, hooked it up and viola! It's now what I use 95% of the time and is very accurate. I'll try to get some close-ups to post in the near future.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    Thanks guys. I definitely need to clean up and organize - then ill have "before/after's" to show. Unfortunately Van, I subscribed to the "buy high/sell low" school of investing on this, my biggest WW purchase ever. I did get the E16 at a bit of a discount, around 1500, but not the STEAL like Jim O'Dell and others @ $900!

About a year after delivery, the economy had taken its nosedive and MM was "dumping" the last few CU300 for $4-5000 less than I'd paid less than a year before .... DAMHNKIT! I went to Sam's Euro workshop on the use of the machinery a year and a 1/2 after purchase and one of the attendees got the 8 ft. Slider w/ mortiser and a MM16 thrown in ... All for LESS than I'd paid. Timing ...

The machinery is very nice and I feel fortunate to have it.
    Well, it was a great deal, but not quite that good. 995.00 plus shipping and (for me since it shipped instate) tax. Too good of a price to pass on. I got my Clear Vue at the same time, also on sale for a few bucks above 900.00...didn't have enough money in the tool fund for both, so LOML floated me a loan. Both great machines. I was saving for the MM16...Haven't outgrown the E16 yet. Great little saw. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I couldn't agree more, Jim. The E16 has thus far exceeded my expectations. I thought I was "compromising" when I was stretched to the tool budget limit and not getting the MM16. Other than the "Tim the Toolman" regret for not getting BIGGER, I've not needed anything close to the capacity the E16 has. It is, like you said, a "sweet" saw.

Mike, I took some shots closer up of the miter set up as well as some of the hardware my friend made for me. I'd fogotten that he also made some bolts that would slide in the T-slot on the side of the slider so I could attach jigs such as the miter table.

One other correction. All of the threads are 1/4 x 20 to match the various jig hardware I'd previously purchased from Lee Valley. At this point, the slider's function, by way of adding jigs, holdowns, etc. are limited only by my feeble imagination!

IMG_2894.jpgIMG_2893.jpgIMG_2892.jpgIMG_2891.jpgIMG_2890.jpg
    Ayn Rand

Thanks Jeff. I actually kept the Woodhaven miter guage (and a bunch of accessories) I had with my Unisaw just for this type of set up in mind. The fact that somebody else actually used a miter guage this way and likes it makes me think I should definitely make a similar set up for my MM. Thanks again for the pictures as they were useful. I also kept the tenon jig and plan to make that work with the MM too.

Mike