Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet or Grizzly

Jet or Grizzly

Thinking about getting a larger lathe than the Jet 1236 I have now. Seems like with a 12" swing I am limited to about a 10" piece.
    Looking at both the Jet 1642-2 and Grizzly 0733 (18 x 47, formerly 0698).
    I would appreciate comments from owners in order to make a decision. (Prices aren't that far apart)
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I have a Jet 1642-2 and personally would never consider the Grizzly since, as you say, the prices are not that far apart. YMMV

I just got the GO698 and so far, I'm happy. The handwheel on my tailstock isn't as smooth as I would like, but I think I can work that out. I don't know anything about the Jet. Laguna has free shipping this month on their 1847, which looks just like the Grizzly. I think that makes it price competitive, given the recent price increase at Grizzly.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I have had the G0698 for over a year and it has done a good job. It came with a few minor problems but I rate pretty good. It is heavier than the 1642-2. I just checked Tool Nut and their price for the Jet 1642-2EVS is like $2900, I think the G0733 sells for around $1700. To me that is quite a lot of change.
    Fred

Fred, I understand if you call Tool Nut you can get the 1642-2 for around $2200 shipped. Puts it back sort of in the ballpark. The big difference I see is the 18" swing on the griz, if you need it.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I'd be tempted to take the 2200 and go shopping for a used powermatic.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

I have not had my 1642 2hp Jet but 3 weeks an LOVE IT ! Shop around you can do way better than that tool nut price posted above.

Tom, i have the jet 1642 evs 1.5 , i believe it is very good lathe

only thing i would change is to have a wider base at the legs

9. The Jet is good lathe........I have friends that have it,and I have the G0698........it has been superb and has the same features as the Jet, only the G0698 and G0733 are bigger. The Jet does have a longer warranty on it, but I think the G0733 is certainly in the same class as the Jet for features, and value is even better.

Grizzly Industrial is very good with their support should any service or parts needs arise in the future. I am not trying to pursuade you in any way, just give my honest assessment. Many of the parts on the G0733 are identical to the Jet, so there is a connection somewhere in manufacturing of both units.............

For what it is worth all lathes, the Powermatics, Jets, Oneways and Grizzly's will all need service from time to time, but the track record for my lathe is good and I feel like I got a really good lathe and a a real good value.

Good luck on your decision!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I purchased the Jet 1642 evs 1.5hp about a year ago and have no regrets. I would have purchased the 2.0 hp, but due to power limitations in my shop, I got the 1.5 hp from Tool Nut. There was an offer last spring with free shipping and a nice discount. I think I paid about $1850 delivered to my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dobbs View Post
    I have not had my 1642 2hp Jet but 3 weeks an LOVE IT ! Shop around you can do way better than that tool nut price posted above.
    David,
    Care to share where you can beat the $2200? I have been searching for the 1642-2 for a couple weeks and have not come up with anything better
    Thanks

I want to thank Grizzly for the excellent customer service and support for my 8 mth old G 0462 lathe. After 8 months of use, I found a micro crack in a casting in the head end of my new lathe when I had to replace a belt. I dreaded asking Grizzly to give me some help because the head end assembly is the most expensive part of this lathe. However, Grizzly customer service was fantastic and they did their best to help and assist. Grizzly's customer service is now a great selling point and I strongly recommend the Grizzly organization.

I also have the Jet 1642 1.5hp and love it. I really don't think you would know the difference in the 1.5hp and the 2hp.,other than the price. I bought mine when Woodcraft had the 15% off sale. I think it ended up about $1900.00. Really smooth operation. In my opinion I would buy the 1.5hp and spend the difference on a nice Oneway Talon chuck. If your in no real big hurray their should be a sale on them soon. 15% is about $200.00.

Today only WC is having a sale on ALL Rikon tools at 15% off. They have a couple of large lathes with some pretty good specs, although I have no practical experience with their lathes.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    If your in no real big hurray their should be a sale on them soon. 15% is about $200.00.
    While Donny is correct, when I bought my Jet 1642-2EVS (very pleased BTW!), I did some research and the annual price increases easily outweigh the sale discount. Waiting is probably not going to net you any benefit for whatever that is worth!