Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship Model - Made with Epilog

Ship Model - Made with Epilog

I thought that I would post some photos of a project that I am currently working on.
    Last year I posted some photos of some architectural models that I do and this project is along those same lines.

Back in September I was commissioned to build a “generic” model of a modern cruise ship for a unit of the U.S. Coast Guard.
    Their specs were 1:100 scale, 8 foot long, must come apart for transportation to conferences and could not be a copy of any existing cruise ship. This unit is in charge of training inspectors and inspecting cruise ships.

There were no plans to go by and the only thing that they were able to give me was a pdf file of a cross section of a ship so I could establish deck heights.

I have designed everything in 3d with SketchUp and then exported .svg files to Corel for laser cutting. Almost the entire ship's structure is made from 1/8” Baltic Birch with some balsa. The left side is open in certain areas to show details on some of the decks.

Attached are some screen shots of the SketchUp file and some under construction photos.

FrontShip.JPGRearShip.jpgPICT2301.jpgPICT2302.jpgPICT2303.jpgPICT2293.jpg
    Larry Folk

LEF Architects, LLC
    The Historic Model Aircraft Company
    Epilog 24x12 75 watt
    Roland GX-24
    Corel X4
    MicroStation CADD Software
    Rhino w/T-Splines
    SketchUp 8 Pro

Hey Larry,
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, why did you choose Sketchup over Rhino to design it? How are y planning on making it to breakdown and be transportable? What type of joinery did you use for it? Butt or mortise and tenon or other?
    Thanks and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Blog Entries
    That must have taken a boatload of time (hah, there was truly no pun intended on that one... realized after I wrote it) to create the files.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That is very cool.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Michael,

I have used both Rhino and SketchUp but I like to use SketchUp for my architectural practice. Before I started this I considered myself a casual user of SketchUp but now I have a good understanding of how it works and I am liking it more and more. There are plugins that allow you to draw almost anything and the user interface is user friendly.
    All of the pieces are slotted and tabbed with hardly any surface gluing only. We have used about 3/4 of a gallon of Titebond glue so far.

I have engineered a separation point half way back from the bow. At the very bottom and at the cabin decks I have dowels to align things up. I have (3) 4-40 socket head bolts on each side that are accessible to pull the halves together.

I have two wood boxes made that each half goes into for transportation.

Dan,

Yes, this has taken a lot of time. This project has been worked on almost every day since getting the contract. 3/4 of the time has been designing and engineering. The benefit of this is all of the pieces fit and the actual construction has been easy.

Box1.JPGConnectionDowels.jpgPICT2197.jpgPICT2205.jpg
    Larry Folk

LEF Architects, LLC
    The Historic Model Aircraft Company
    Epilog 24x12 75 watt
    Roland GX-24
    Corel X4
    MicroStation CADD Software
    Rhino w/T-Splines
    SketchUp 8 Pro

That's a super job you having going there and so far it's looking just like the real thing. Well done you!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Impressive.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Hi Larry and Judy,

It's great to see you what you've been up to - very ambitious! What I find most amazing is that you basically designed a whole cruise ship! Nicely executed, as usual.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

9. Awesome craftsmanship Larry! I'm sure your client will be thrilled.

How much longer till your deadline? Also, does Sketchup Pro allow you to extract the curved "skin" from the bow and flatten it?

Yup, the better you draw it, the easier it is to assemble.

Sotos

Excellent work Larry.

Paul.

Awesome work!!!! very impressive!!!
    Cassondra Bennett

"This too will pass"

Really very nice to see and thanks for your sharing

Regards,
    Saravanakumar
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD

Very nice! I see it's a cargo vessel that transports large bricks.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Holy Ship!

I am sure in these tough times this job helped to keep your business afloat.

Upon close examination of your pictures I see a 2.5" or 3" white Du-Bro / Great Planes spinner hanging on your pegboard along with several other RC products. You must be into RC airplanes as well!!! The thick CA and accelerator are another dead give away.
    Daniel Wolanski
    President / Mag-Knight Die Cutting

FAL-F90120S, two heads, 100W each (Lasercut 5.3)
    Copam 3050 vinyl cutter
    US Cutter MH871
    Associated Pacific Machine (APM) 30, 60 & 80 Ton Presses
    DeltaCad
    Corel X4 / X6