Thread: Source for Hardwoods in Southern New England?

Source for Hardwoods in Southern New England?

I live in Western Massachusetts and I'm looking for good sources of Hardwood. Connecticut Wood Group in Enfield, CT seems to have a decent assortment for larger volumes. What other sources are out there? What if I need small quantities of assorted hardwoods - for building small toys?

Where do Southern New Englanders go for Hardwood?

Bill,

It depends on what you're looking for. In Manchester, CT (about 1/2 hour south of CWG), Harris Enterprises has a large stock of wood too. Formerly known as Harris Hardwoods, their prices tend to run a bit higher than CWG. They also have a full millwork shop and teach classes.

Moore's Sawmill and Riley Lumber are both in Bloomfield, CT (20 min south of Springfield). Moore's saws and dries, his prices aren't that cheap considering yoou're buying from a manufacturer. Riley is a little ole timey lumber yard that does have some nice stock here and there. I needed a 16' piece of 4/4 oak for some trim and they had it.

Sanford and Hawley is a family-owned chain of lumber yards that services a lot of builders and DIY'rs. They also have lumber, but a lot of it is dimensional (3/4" vs 4/4). I've picked some nice pieces out though and they had Atlantic White Cedar when I needed it.

I'd open up the yellow pages and look under lumber. Go to the local places and see what they have. Look for sawmills. Find out where they send lumber to be kiln-dried or they may dry themselves. Another option is to contact WoodMizer (even search on their website) and find a couple of local sawyers, talk with them and see if you can get green stock from them.

Rob

Bill,

Of course, Rob lists everywhere I've been! So, I haven't made to these places yet but they are on my "to visit" list.

Berkshire Products Inc.
    Route 7A
    Sheffield, MA 01257
    413-229-7919

All Righteous Woods
    288 Newburyport Turnpike ( RTE 1 )
    Rowley, MA. 01969

NEW ENGLAND SPECIALTY LUMBER SUPPLY
    Middlebury, VT

Hope that gives you some more ideas. I have also visited a couple of small local mills and picked up some odds and ends at really good prices.

Dave Fried

John LeBlanc Guest
    Try Amherst Woodworkers supply in Northampton for sheet goods, they also carry hardwoods. There is also someplace in Greenfield, I can't remember the name right now that also carrys a good selection of hardwoods.

John

http://www.masscraft.com/forestproducts/woodprice.html

This is the link to Forest Products Associates in Greenfield, it's hard to find the web site for some reason so keep the link if you want it for the future. Good variety although the place in Enfield has more of the basic woods. Prices are fairly close so I've found it more worth while just to hit Enfield from Agawam as opposed to spending the morning driving.
    Northampton Hardware suprisingly has some decent long lenght lumber, but they frown on picking as it's stored in piled up trailers. Don't know where you are but there was also a guy from Hankel Lumber in East Nassau, NY at the woodworkers show, his prices are a bit lower but I haven't been there.

Bill,

I dont know if this is too far for you but I've picked up some real nice stuff at Downes & Reader in Stoughton, Ma just off rt. 24. They have everything you could need in hardwoods including exotics. They also have a good selection of "shorts" to pick through. www.downesandreader.com.
    Good luck.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Architectural Timber and Millwork in Hadley sells antique lumber such as chestnut, heart pine, etc. Call first as it's not your regular drop in lumber yard and prices are appropriate for the type of materials sold.

Thanks for the sources and ideas

WOW! Thanks! All of these locations are options for me, based on where I live. I'm sure that, over time, I'll get to know them all.

Bill Smith
    West Springfield, MA

Welcome Bill- One of the best yards around is Berkshire Products. Not cheap, but the quality, variety, and selection (particularly of wide boards and flitches) is fantastic. I'd be shopping there regularly if it wasn't a 4+ hour drive for me. For you it's just a hop, skip, and a jump.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I'll second Dave's vote for Berkshire Products.

Anderson McQuaid

In Boston, Anderson-McQuaid in Cambridge -- has range of woods, moldings, etc as well as exotics (purpleheart, bubinga, zebrawood, iroko, etc, etc, etc.)

My pens, guitars and woodworking projects took a leap forward when I started buying wood there.

-- joe