Thread: shop flooring - ambrosia maple

shop flooring - ambrosia maple

i know this sounds a little crazy but i've got about 1600 sf of amborsia maple flooring that i'm thinking about using in my shop -- it's 2.5" T&G and would be installed on Advantek (sp?) subfloor. It's pretty nice looking stuff.

Question -- if you were doing this would you leave it unfinished -- i.e. just sand it? Or would you finish it?
    Bob C

I'd definitely finish it. I even finish plywood work surfaces though just because it makes them easier to clean up and protects agains staining. I wouldn't necessarily put the same effort into the finish that I would inside the house, but your floor will be beautiful and stay that way a lot longer finished.

Greetings from NC!
    Hey Bob,
    While my floor is not maple, I did put down yellow pine when I built my shop about 10 years ago. I used a polymerized tung oil from Wood Worker's Supply. Sanding prior to finishing like any raw flooring installation and then tung oil applied with a lambs wool applicator. Scuff sand and reapply for a total of 3 coats. The finish has held up well considering I didn't really intend to treat it like my dining room! After 9 years or so, I still have good protection and still get the wow factor from anyone who is new to the shop.

Regards,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC

Blog Entries
    Be aware that sawdust on a finished hardwood floor is going to be slicker than a newly surfaced skating rink! Keep your floor clean to prevent slips and falls.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't think I'd want a normal poly finish base on my experience with sawdust on prefinished/laminate floors while I've been installing them but an oil would offer some protection (or at least hide spills of many things that would discolor the floor) and be easily renewable. But without the film it would have some grip if you don't sand too far. Kind of the same thought process as a workbench top.

Think I'd prefer unfinished, until I spilled something. Imagine dropping a can of stain, and the lid pops open. Or you drip some glue when putting some panels together. The finish keeps the glue from sticking, and the stain from staining. Slick floor is the down side.

I'll go with Tom on a tung oil finish. That's what I did to the hickory floor in my shop. And although it is a bit slicker than unfinished, the tung oil isn't like a polished poly finish.