Thread: now i want one!!

now i want one!!

oh boy !!! teaching kids to reignite american manufacturing,, we can do this !!
    and this baby is built in the usa (just like my CAMaster cnc)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1osdn...layer_embedded#!

To me the quality (that I've seen) from these machines just isn't good enough for producing anything other than novelty items. I'm not sure if the extrusion method can ever be really good enough?
    Gerry

JointCAM

at this poiny i am thinking of doating one to a school,, they put on a pretty good demo at the electronics show

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    To me the quality (that I've seen) from these machines just isn't good enough for producing anything other than novelty items. I'm not sure if the extrusion method can ever be really good enough?
    Gerry, if you are referring to the MakerBots then you may be correct, but if you think the commercial technology is just suitable for trinkets then you should take another look. FDM (Fused Deposition Modelling) has been used for accurate prototypes for some time now, not just show-and-tell models. But it has evolved into a legitimate manufacturing process. Take a look at the Stratasys and Redeye sites, for example. I have seen a demo in-person and the parts are very good. No, you can't get a mirror finish like polished injection molds. But there are many valid uses for the technology for manufacturing of usable parts. This is especially true when the volumes don't justify hard tooling (such as medical equipment.)

In some cases the technology can be advantageous because you can combine parts and generate features which would not be practicable to injection mold. So if you can combine 3 or 4 parts into one, and avoid tooling expenses, the higher cost of the physical parts might be justified.