Thread: Leigh D4 Dovetail Problem

Leigh D4 Dovetail Problem

I am in the process of a project with some simple through dovetails. I use a Leigh D4 dovetail jig, and have many times before. However, this one has me beating my head on the wall for a problem I cannot seem to figure you.

Very simple 4 pins/tails. Boards are exactly the same width. But they are coming out offset.?? Any ideas as to why/how this is happening?? I appreciate any and all help/comments.

d4e5873e.jpg

I have had that problem before, and just by flipping the board over, it matched up. If the finger joints are not exactly symmetrical, there will be a right side and a left side. They may look even by the eye test but they are not. In my example, your board on the right, should match up if you flip it over and leave the board on the right, where it is now.

There is a stop on the left side of the jig that you push the board up against as you insert it into the jig. If that stop is out of adjustment, wouldn't that affect the alignment of the joint? Establishing the location of that stop is part of the setup of the tool. You might check your manual and double-check the stop is in the right place.

Joe,

You were correct. I was expecting a symmetrical cut, but the fingers are not exactly symmetrical.

Thanks for the help.

I have the exact same problem with half blind dovetails. I love the jig but hesitate to use it because of this problem. Do the fingers have to be symmetrical for half blinds too? If so, is there another jig out there that doesn't have this problem?

The board has to have the show face positioned, I believe, toward the operator. However, that may not hold true for all types of dovetails, or my memory might have it backwards. So, check the manual on which side of the board should be facing out. I believe that is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R Edwards View Post
    I have the exact same problem with half blind dovetails. I love the jig but hesitate to use it because of this problem. Do the fingers have to be symmetrical for half blinds too? If so, is there another jig out there that doesn't have this problem?
    If you do asymmetrical half blind dovetails, you will have to use both ends of the jig if you want all 4 corners of the drawer to match.

The only time I have had problems with corners not lining up is if I got in a hurry & did not make sure both parts were against the stops.

You have not followed the steps in the manual. It is absolutely necessary to mark the face side of each board and then place the mark facing the correct way when you place the board into the jig. I've done it wrong and then scratched my head for a while too. If you are careful and follow the steps exactly you will never have this problem again.

Charley