Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which PDF Conventer to Buy?

Which PDF Conventer to Buy?

I am looking for a basic PDF converter. My needs are simple: Make PDF's from MS Office applications as well as create PDF's from hard copies scanned in my flatbed (I have a 3 in 1 Epson printer/fax/scanner).

Adobe's seems to be the standard, but given my 2 simple needs, I would think there are cheaper options that would serve me well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. I run Windows 7

Google PDF creator-its free and has worked for me.

I use doPDF. It is free. It works for me. When installed, it looks like an additional printer on your computer. You use Printer Setup or the like to select it instead of your real printers.

Office 2010 under windows 7 can save as pdf with no additional add-ins or software. We use it at work, though I also have Acrobat Professional.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I use something called "PDF 995" . It's free. To convert something to a PDF you select it from your print menu just like a printer. Not sure if it will do what you need but works for my needs.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

OpenOffice allows you to convert docs to pdf's. And it's free!
    Paul

OpenOffice allows you to convert docs to pdf's. And it's free!
    That would be LibreOffice now. I've had some formatting get lost using either LO or OE, but, for the most part it does work fine.

So far (knock on wood) PDFCreator has worked 100%.
    It's also free.

I use both.

We use Nuance PDF Pro, it can convert BACK to Word, Excel, make searchable PDFs, etc...works good. I think it's around $99.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I use something called "PDF 995" . It's free. To convert something to a PDF you select it from your print menu just like a printer. Not sure if it will do what you need but works for my needs.
    I've used and paid for PDF995 in the past. It came as a suite that had a couple other 'applets' for want of a better term. I've also used cutePDF (google it) which seemed to work fine. I now use a Linux desktop OS with Libre Office which does what I need it to do, including importing and exporting (lightly formatted) MS Office documents.

I also use PDF995 as a free version. I also have their editing software called PDFedit995. It works well to combine several PDF files into one PDF file, or to just delete a page within an existing PDF file.
    Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I use office 2010 and it's got the save as pdf option native. I also use cute PDF printer to print as a pdf file for anything else. It's free and will save the document just as if it came of the printer.

BCM

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    That would be LibreOffice now. I've had some formatting get lost using either LO or OE, but, for the most part it does work fine.

So far (knock on wood) PDFCreator has worked 100%.
    It's also free.

I use both.
    LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice. OpenOffice hasn't ceased. OpenOffice development is under Oracle's oversight. LibreOffice development is 100% community-based.

+1 for PDFCreator. I've used it for years and it's free.

PDF Converter by Nuance. Used it for years and it will allow you to do any and everything to a doc.

Jim

I use cutePDF with good results