Thread: Figured Ash Vase

1. Figured Ash Vase

I got this wood in a big load I hauled back in the summer. It came from land just north of Greers Ferry Lake in north-central Arkansas. The wood has lots of color and figure in it. There's curl on the outside that doesn't show up in the pictures, but it sure does on the inside. The piece stands 10" tall and is ~6" wide. Comments and opinions welcomed.

Geez, some people will do anything to assist in the hollowing clean out!

Looks really cool Mark. All the twist and turns around that knot hole really make this piece.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

What a gorgeous piece of wood and nice job with the form. I think you've taken that wood and done great work of showing off it's best!!!

A#1 super vessel
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Mark, what a beautiful piece of wood!! And, while the form is not necessarily one I like, you did a spectacular job on it. The inside even appears very smooth - must be a combination of superb skill and the Carter system! I know Keith has you owning the whole system, doesn't he??

Nice pics, too!

Mark I like it. The void in the side takes the cake. I am getting great use out of the tools I got from you. Thanks again.

Awesome Mark, beautiful wood and the form and finish are first class.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Mark,

I really like the form and you did it with a challenging piece of wood. The one thing I would like to see is the opening a bit smaller as I think it would look better proportionally but it is still very nice the way it is. Like john commented that it looks very smooth on the inside. This is one of my picky points with my turnings and turnings of others. If you can get you finger or you can see in the vessel if better be smooth. I have seen some really nice pieces that when you look inside they look like they have been hollowed with a rat tail file. In my mind by taking the time to finish the interior properly you give a beautiful turning the details that it deserve.

Nice work,

Alan

You know, Alan brings up a great point about interior finishing. I use to not give a darn what the inside looks (or feels) like, but have "graduated" to the mindset of as far as a finger can reach or if you can see it....finish it...mentality. So.... long story short.... I can't help but point out a wierdness that I observed in St Paul.

While wondering though the special gallery (upstairs), I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the pieces from (likely) the most famous turner around.....were rough and littered with tool marks on the inside! This was something I noticed on a few forms that were VERY open and you could clearly see the interior walls!

So.....I guess even from the "masters", the inside finishing thing can be deemed NOT important. Personally I thought a little less of the pieces because of this "lack" of finishing.

Sorry, didn't mean to go OT, but thought that this conversation about how nice Mark finished the inside of this piece reminded me of this little observation.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wonderful looking piece, love the wood and the void.

I like this a lot. Great form, beautiful wood. I tend to agree with those who don't give a rodent's backside about the finish on the inside of a hollow form with a small opening. Except, of course, when you can actually see the inside!
    David DeCristoforo

very nice.....

13. Form on this is very good........tucked under base and a smooth flowing curve..........really nice Mark! I guess it is just me, I seem not to be able to make myself have an affinity for voids, and bark inclusions.....

......my own perception is that they are "defects" .........somehow I just am outside the camp on those.........some find it more appealing than pristine wood.........Oh my........I guess I will have to graduate from elementary thinking to more sophisticated concepts.............
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Really nice vase. The wood is great. I have a line on a black ash tree when I get the time, probably this spring.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author