Thread: first SMC project - ash HF

first SMC project - ash HF

Hi All

I am fairly new to turning, I have been following the creek for some time now and have learned a lot from you guys. Thanks for sharing

This is my first HF with small entry hole (1 1/8 "). Wood is ash

I have used the 3/4 jordan tools I received for Xmas

critics requested (not sure if it is the way to ask for critics)

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Martin,

Very nice work on this piece. I really studied this for a while to offer a real critique and honestly there isn't too much to offer in the way of a critique! Excellent flowing curve from top to bottom. You should think about listing a size, wall thickness and finish. People tend to inquire about those things.

As for tweaking.....hmmmm.... I believe what I am about to say is totally personal preference, so take it with a grain of salt. I would like to see either a smaller collar or an embelishment on the thicker collar. The thick collar/rim tends to lean my thoughts toward the idea that the entire piece is that thick (maye it is?). If the collar was smaller I would like a smaller transition into the foot, but for the current size they seem proportionate to me.

You really show a talent for this shape and I how you continue to refine this shape.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nice work, Martin! Not a lot to be critical about with this one. You nailed the curve, and the proportions are nice. I tend to favor small feet unless there are functional concerns, and I especially like the look of a very tight radius near the base(a tucked foot)... Others like the foot just as you have done it, so it's up to you. I see Scott's point about the band near the opening, and I agree that it would be a great place to try a little embellishment if you'd like. I think making the edge of that band a little crisper would be a good start... A series of beads might be nice as well. There's really nothing technically amiss with this piece to my eye, so I've drifted into the realm of personal preferences with this post. I'm looking forward to seeing your next one!

Martin, I think every turner here would have to agree that they wish their first HF had all the beautiful qualities of yours. Like what has already been said, I like the curve, The opening is plain but I personally like that. The area around the opening can be a canvas for a lot of different embellishments but yours looks good to me because of the knot in the wood near the top. That adds interest to the piece and a lot of fancy work around the opening might just compete with that. As for the base, giving it some lift by rounding the bottom edge under would seem to complete the beautiful curve you have in the rest of the piece. An example better than I could ever come close to explaining is in a similar piece Mark Cothren recently posted....http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...gured-Ash-Vase

Beautiful vase!

Looks great Martin! Very nice form! I agree with Scott's observation about the size of the collar. A smaller collar or slightly uplifted lip would add to the piece - but that is just my personal preference...

Looking forward to seeing your next hollow form!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 01-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great job, especially for your first HF! I think it's looks great!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Your first? WOW this is a great first. Not much to nit-pick...you should be quite thrilled with this.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

It looks like you got the proportions down just right for this one, Martin. Good job!

It is about 7" tall and 4.5 inch large.
    thickness is 3/8 and not as uniform as I would have liked )
    finish is mineral oil and beeswax

I have done about 5 vase prior to this one, but with opening of 2" or so. This is my first HF with such a little entrance hole.

thanks for your comments, My next one will be better I hope. I will try to bring it down to 1/4 thick

Martin

Not much to add to what has already has been said. I think on a form such as this the curve is the most important element and you did very well. I like the slight rounding on the bottom of these, it does give it a bit of lift off the horizontal. Really nice for you first attempt. I would say that for your first small holer you have succeeded! Nice form and the ash looks really good. Keep them coming.

Martin,
    Either some gave you very good advice or you were just fortunate enough to make really good choices for your first hollow form attempt. Great choice on tools. If you are hollowing by hand, the JJ tools are perfect. Hopefully, you also invested in a Don Pencil arm brace. If not, do so. It makes the curved tools a lot more enjoyable to use. The shape you chose is perfect and done really well. Picking spindle direction for the grain will allow the bowl to dry without too much distortion and you didn't have to fight end grain. The hole size is forgiving and allows you to get the curved tools in and out without much fear of banging up the lip and mostly, you didn't try to go too thin. At 7 1/2" deep, you were aggressive but I bet the tools didn't vibrate a bit. Most of the guys here at SMC hollow with special rigs. I still do it like you did yours. I like the challenge of hand hollowing with no laser. Of course, I'm certifiably nuts. Great job. I look forward to seeing more.
    faust

Really nice shape, and lots of things going on in the wood.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome