Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Lint Free" rags.....ARRGGGGGG

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    This thread is over THREE YEARS OLD. Not sure why it is showing up here now.
    But it's still a valid question.
    That's what I like about woodworking. Cumulative knowledge. I benefit from stuff I learned 30 years ago.

This place is a vast reservoir of knowledge going way back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    However, I find the best "lint free" rags are well washed old t-shirts or even old sheets. Any good guality 100% cotton that has been laundered mulitple times works for me.
    Yes, this. I have a collection of rags that go through the wash with any other like articles until I deem them lint-free. Then they go into an old plastic, screw-on lid container (Costco Almond Biscotti maybe?) to be ready for use. The screw-on container lets me store them more casually than I might otherwise be able to.

There are definitely some old threads that are just "old threads". I think this one still has value ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guarnotta View Post
    Can I resurrect this old thread? I'm looking for lint free cloths for applying a wipe on finish-like Waterlox, or Minwax wipe on poly. Typically I have bought those white rags - and the finish is not great. Should I have been running these through the washer and dryer first? If I have to go to all that trouble - I might as well use the disposable Scotts towels. Do they work for applying a finish, or just for cleaning off when preparing a surface for finish?

Oh yeah - as for those micro-fiber cloths, I've been using them to help clean my woodworking projects before sealing. Can I also use them (a fresh clean one) for applying a wipe-on finish? Should I, or do I need to wash them first? and are the compatible with all finishes? (ie waterlox, oil based poly)
    I'll tell you what I just used for a wipe-on poly finish that worked absolutely perfectly. I used an old t-shirt that I cut into generous sized pieces, folded them over to make 2"-3" round "pads", and then put each of those "pads" into it's own piece of knee-high (can use pantyhose as well). I had zero issues with lint, and I barely even needed to sand between coats to get rid of dust nibs. It turned out to be the perfect applicator.

My end result was a perfectly smooth and streak/lint-free polyurethane finish.

Kevin,
    I use the blue paper towels with WaterLox all the time. I fold them so the serated edge is inside just to make sure there are no "loose" threads exposed. I never use tack cloth for anything, too afraid of residue.

Try an imitation sheepskin from an auto parts store. We called them shammies when I was a kid. I cut them into small pieces.

EDIT The correct spelling is: Chamois
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 11-02-2015 at 6:31 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I buy pure white Ganzee rags from a rag supplier. in Canada it is called R.B.Willaims. about 25.00 for a 20lb box Mostly cotton tee shirt pre washed
    Al

Kinda' small, but seriously lint free:

http://www.markertek.com/product/lfc...4-5-in-50-pack

Larger, lint free, and expensive:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...cloth_7_x.html

Blog Entries
    Hijack from the OP question, but why is resurrecting an old thread a problem? I sometimes visit a boating forum and if you even think of doing this they will threaten to hang you from the yardarm. I don't get it. When I search, I would rather have it all in one comprehensive thread than have to dig through five threads. Just go to the end to see the most current thinking on the subject.
    NOW you tell me...