Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Lint Free" rags.....ARRGGGGGG

I've had good luck with the Microfiber towels; I buy them in the big package from Sam's Club for about $12 for 20. I just recently got some from Menards with a rebate certificate, on sale for about $2 for 24. I use them for my Tack cloths followed by a good vacuum brush. Then run them thru the wash and either dry them alone or hang dry them. If you put them with other things they pick up the lint. For finish I have bought the bags of rags from Rockler when on sale. The material appears to be cotton T-shirt like.

Dan

Micro fiber towels. They are available several places but Sam's club seems to have the best deal. I don't recall but I think there is 15 in a package for about ten bucks.

+1 on microfiber. Terrific for applying shellac. Haven't tried them with a petro solvent based finish though. Could be issues, since they're synthetic (petro-chem) .
    - Tom

Blog Entries
    Blue roll of shop towels for me too. I dampen one with some mineral spirits as a final wipe down after vacuuming but before varnishing. I use them for wiping on stain and wiping off excess stain and for wipe on poly. Make good HD nose blowers too. And for cleaning my glasses in the shop. Wouldn't be without them.

You might try this. Arctechski.com under ski tuning supplies, paper, fiberlene paper by swix. It's lint-free, absorbant, and can be used for polishing.

I use Scott brand blue shop towels. They work very well and a pretty durable. I like the name too...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I use Scott brand blue shop towels. They work very well and a pretty durable. I like the name too...
    Ditto for me too, our local auto parts store will have case specials on them for $58.00, thats a whole lotta towels for the money.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

8. Lint free cloth

Lab supply have lint free cloths, about 8 inches square used for wiping lab instruments. Can't remember pricing but they are lint free

I still have a hard time beating 100% cotton old t-shirts and sheets (notwithstanding the issues noted in the off topic forum). Being in IT, I have a back supply of about 10 years in bags in the attic from when I used to go to trade shows (wear them until they get worn... then cut into rags). I've also seen them pretty cheap by the box at goodwill type stores.

The blue towels are handy, but I find them more likely to snag or stick and they wear through faster leaving bits behind when that happens.. so I limit them to "soft" or "don't care" projects..

Can I resurrect this old thread? I'm looking for lint free cloths for applying a wipe on finish-like Waterlox, or Minwax wipe on poly. Typically I have bought those white rags - and the finish is not great. Should I have been running these through the washer and dryer first? If I have to go to all that trouble - I might as well use the disposable Scotts towels. Do they work for applying a finish, or just for cleaning off when preparing a surface for finish?

Oh yeah - as for those micro-fiber cloths, I've been using them to help clean my woodworking projects before sealing. Can I also use them (a fresh clean one) for applying a wipe-on finish? Should I, or do I need to wash them first? and are the compatible with all finishes? (ie waterlox, oil based poly)
    Last edited by Kevin Guarnotta; 11-02-2015 at 8:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guarnotta View Post
    Can I resurrect this old thread? I'm looking for lint free cloths for applying a wipe on finish-like Waterlox, or Minwax wipe on poly. Typically I have bought those white rags - and the finish is not great. Should I have been running these through the washer and dryer first? If I have to go to all that trouble - I might as well use the disposable Scotts towels. Do they work for applying a finish, or just for cleaning off when preparing a surface for finish?

Oh yeah - as for those micro-fiber cloths, I've been using them to help clean my woodworking projects before sealing. Can I also use them (a fresh clean one) for applying a wipe-on finish? Should I, or do I need to wash them first? and are the compatible with all finishes? (ie waterlox, oil based poly)
    Lint free rags, good luck. Whenever you run your house towels through the washer/dryer, how much lint is in the trap? My experience is that no matter how many times I run rags through the washing and drying process, lint is still present. Blue shop towels. Now, I have used a "lint free" cloth put inside a piece of panty hose. Worked for me.

I've always been happy with the HD brand lint free towels. Better than Lowes IMHO.

Running them through the washer and dryer a few times does help.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

That is what the panty hose is for - I had read about using panty hose over a "lint free rag" (aka old t-shirt) and never understood what the panty hose was for.

This thread is over THREE YEARS OLD. Not sure why it is showing up here now.
    Howie.........

I re-started it with some additional questions, and asking for clarifications. I thought that made more sense then starting a whole new thread.