Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secret weapon #1 against tearout --- a skwaper.

Secret weapon #1 against tearout --- a skwaper.

This is something I cooked up after getting interested in negative rake scrapers, mainly for cleaning up tearout or tool marks on the inside of bowls. DSC_0674_2.jpgDSC_0677_2.jpgDSC_0679_2.jpg The bowl in the pic is a roughout that I mounted up as a prop just to show the shearing cut (mentioned below), so don't look for a smooth surface, there isn't one. At times I have used a curved skew as a scraper, but always had to worry about the point at the end the curve, and would often have to come uncomfortably close to that point when negotiating the curve of the bowl. I basically just eliminated any points, and have a varied curve, any part of which can be used for scraping, depending on what is needed. The nose can be used to take the tiniest cuts near the rim, where greater contact would cause chatter, or the more gradual portions can smooth out ridges if there is enough thickness to support the longer edge contact. It can be used at a variety of angles, without risk of a catch, as long as it is flat on the tool rest, and due to the negative rake, there is no need to hold it in a downward orientation, nor angled so that the edge is contacting the tool rest, as in a shear scrape with a normal scraper. One can obtain more of a shearing cut by orienting as in the photo, which I'm guessing is at a good 35* to 40* angle to the bed of the lathe. This would be disastrous with a regular scraper, but I haven't been able to actually cause a catch so far with this tool flat on the rest. By dressing both sides each time you sharpen, you merely have to flip the tool over to gain a fresh edge, so there is less time running back and forth to the grinder. You just have to remember which side of the tool to sharpen to get the burr on the desired side, left or right, depending on whether you are using it on the inside or outside of a bowl. It also works well with spindles. After making this from a parting tool that came with my first turning tool set (from Harbor Freight), I saw something roughly similar that Cindy Drozda sells, but hers is more of a round nose scraper that still has points on either side of the curve. I've never seen anything exactly like this, where there are no points at all to worry about - not to say that someone else hasn't done the same thing, just that I haven't seen one. I'm sure that I could patent this and make millions of dollars selling them on TV infomercials , but out of the goodness of my heart, I'll just put it up here for free, and let y'all make your own. This one is 5/8" wide. I have found it very useful indeed. Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 01-15-2012 at 4:54 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan, that is neat! I have a couple of skews on a shelf because of their infrequent (perhaps never!) use, and I have intended on making negative rake scrapers of them anyway. I will now use your contoured profile! Thanks!

Thanks Dan. I've been using a couple of oval-profile skews as negative rake scrapers, but I like the roundness and lack of corners on your version.

Off to the grinder...

Dan, I'm always looking to improve my final cut on the inside of my open bowls. I have one round nose scraper ground like this already that I use on plastic pen blanks and will have to try it on the next bowl I return know.
    Thanks for the tip,
    Jack

Looks good Dan. Now I'm thinking a huge one like from 1-1/2 x 3/8.

If it works, it's a great idea! May have to make one myself. Thanks Dan for caring more for us than your wallet.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Thanks Dan. This might just what I need as I struggle at times with tear out and tool marks on bowls.

Great idea Dan, consider this idea copied.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

That looks pretty good Dan. May regrind one of my cheap scrapers and give it a try.
    C&C WELCOME

Great idea Dan. Still can't get my head around a 'negative rake" but I too have several tools that sit unused that could easily be converted to this application. Do you suppose you could let me know what angle you grind each side? I'm assuming that you use it right from the grinder without any honing, correct?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Dan looks good. I bought a cheap scraper from PSI and made a negative rake scraper and it does work nicely for tear out and tool marks. Mine isn't ground as far back as yours.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Neat idea. My only suggestion would be to call it a 'screw' rather than a 'skewaper'... My autocorrect doesn't like the latter term. Plus, it's your go-to tools when your screwed with all the others in the arsenal!

Great idea. As to the name, I would take out the "e" and just go with "Skwaper" (think Elmer Fudd). Keller's spul chucker probably won't like it any better though...
    David DeCristoforo

I may have to experiment some more with NR scrapers. I just get a better cut with a high shear angle, and my go to tools for that are a Thompson fluteless gouge, or a gouge that is more round nosed. Any scraper tends to leave some tear out when used flat on the tool rest. Just the nature of the tool, though on end grain orientation, it does a lot better. I have used the NR scrapers with honed burrs, grinder burrs (CBN wheel burrs are superior), and lightly honed burrs. They all work, with the honed burr being the weakest, and the burnished burr being a tiny bit more durable than the grinder burr. Note here, when burnishing, I use a burnishing tool, not the vertical one from Lee Valley. The rod needs to be only a few degrees off parallel with the bevel, so bevel at 45 degrees, burnisher at 50 or so, not 90 like the LV one.

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    Finally, something I can do with that Crown 1/4" parting tool. That'll come in real handy this weekend. Thanks Dan.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.