Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show me your Sheet-goods lifter/mover

I move sheet goods as little as possible. Especially full sheets. Especially 3/4" plywood.

Instead, I break them down in or at the truck. Easy enough to slide a sacrificial 2x4 or two under the sheet, clamp on a straight edge guide for the Skil saw and cut. I'd use a trak saw system if I had the cash for one, but I don't break down sheet goods that frequently and I can't justify the cost to buy a tool that has but one purpose.

I guess I am old school or just old I pick up my sheet goods and carry them. At work I see these young fellows struggle with a sheet of 3/4 plywood. I just shake my head and go about picking them up and taking them to the saw or cnc. I have to load my home cnc by myself and I use 4x8 25 mm PVC sheets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I guess I am old school or just old I pick up my sheet goods and carry them. At work I see these young fellows struggle with a sheet of 3/4 plywood. I just shake my head and go about picking them up and taking them to the saw or cnc. I have to load my home cnc by myself and I use 4x8 25 mm PVC sheets.
    I used to be able to do that too. Maybe I got out of shape, or maybe I got old. But I can't do it anymore! So, YOU ARE THE MAN!
    Anyway, If I want to continue building cabinet and such, I have to change my ways.

It's hell getting old, but HEY, it beats the alternative!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I used to be able to do that too. Maybe I got out of shape, or maybe I got old. But I can't do it anymore! So, YOU ARE THE MAN!
    Anyway, If I want to continue building cabinet and such, I have to change my ways.

It's hell getting old, but HEY, it beats the alternative!
    You got that right, Larry. I can pick up and carry a sheet of 3/4" plywood (just!), but I'd rather not. Mainly because once it's up, I can't maneuver it into any useful position other than a pair of saw horses out in the middle of the lawn. I haven't had a single project that required the full 8' length of a sheet of plywood, and only one that required the full 48" width.

I had a professional carpenter help me build my addition; He's a few years older than I am, but he's in way better shape, and can horse around a sheet of 3/4 CDX. Nevertheless, he too uses a couple rails of 2x4 on a pair of horses and breaks them down with his skill saw--freehand! The one time we decided it was necessary to use the table saw to get a "good" edge, we did it together.

As for a device to break down plywood in the shop, the latest (January) issue of Shop Notes has a system I'm considering.

A variation on a theme

My sheet goods movers also double as brush pile movers, firewood movers, and also as "Dad can we move some money from your wallet to pay for an IceCream Shop Run?" movers.
    IMG_1498.jpg

When help is scarce, I find this simple little jig handy.

223.jpg

I designed a do-all sheet goods cart and rack system that I was going to submit to the ww mags but figured it was only useful in a shop that uses a fair amount of sheet goods and has sufficient space for a rack that holds sheet goods flat against the wall at about 2' off the ground - it required either an 8' wide X 10' tall or 16' wide X 6' tall amount of wall space.

One half of the two part rack is a 4' X 8' rolling cart with folding legs and a grid top whose legs make it tailgate high. You back your pickup to the shop entrance which must be at least 4' wide, slide a few sheets onto the cart and roll it to the fixed part of the wall rack. The rack is two sheets wide, the cart making up one side. You latch one edge of the cart to hinges mounted on the extended bottom of the fixed rack and pivot the cart and ply into the vertical position by pushing it or using a rope and pulley to pull it up. Then you slide the ply, which is now standing on edge, sideways into the fixed half of the rack.

During use you can slide sheets of ply back and forth from the fixed half to the tilting half of the rack until you find the sheet you want. Then you lower it down on the pivoting half, unfolding the legs as you go. You can cut the sheet of ply into useable pieces right there with a track saw or you can integrate a panel saw into the design. It is easier to draw than describe.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 01-18-2012 at 8:37 AM.

I built a cart to handle 4 x 8 sheets. I have a rack where I store plywood flat, placed it just inside the garage door, so when I get a delivery I can go directly to the rack from outside. The cart is about like a grocery cart, casters that turn on the steering end, casters that don't turn on the other. Built it about 1/2" taller than my table saw so I can roll it right up to the saw and push the sheet right through the saw. Sorry, no techy so can't post pics. Have trouble handling the sheets too. Used to work in a shop where I handled sheets most all day, but that was years ago.

That issue (Tools and Shops 2011) may still be in the racks at HD or other places. It will be $8-$9.

I use a set of those roller things they sell as outfeed supports for a table saw. Sears and/or HF runs them on sale for about $10.00 every so often.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/132-lb-...and-95621.html
    They're useless as outfeed supports, but, work great as supports for getting sheet goods out of the van. I just pull the sheet out and get the end on the roller, then pull it all the way out & onto a saw horse.
    Once I get one end on a saw horse, I slide another saw horse under the end that's still on the roller.

Once I get both ends on sawhorses, I use one of those cheap plastic drywall carries they sell at Lowes for ~ $10.00 to pick it up from underneath and move it over to the sheet goods rack.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-93-301.../dp/B00004UDN8

The rollers are great because I can use two of them and a sawhorse and just "roll" the sheet goods by leapfrogging the rollers and the saw horse(s) and never have to lift it @ any point until I get it into the garage and right by the sheet goods rack.
    Or - if it's a sheet I'm going to use right away, I just slide it onto the sheet goods cuting table.
    The same method works just as well with drywall.

I've been using the Stanley for years (have two of them cause I always have trouble finding one). I'm not yet old, but at 69 I can still handle the sheets with the Stanley carrier. Big thing about this unit is it saves wear and tear on the hands and lengthens your arm by about 14 inches.

Blog Entries
    I just ordered one for Amazon. I had added a new saw blade for my circular saw (Freud D0760X Diablo Ultra Finish Saw Blade) and needed about 5 bucks and some change to get the order over $25 for free shipping so I added that little do-dad get me over the top.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I just scored one of these for $175 on craigslist... always wanted one and it's the perfect tool for a one man shop to manhandle sheet goods... load them onto the cart, rotate it 90 degrees so the good are now flat instead of perpendicular to the ground... then with the foot pump, jack them up to the same height as your table saw....

I can't wait to use it...

http://www.hafele.com/us/documents/H...rialCartMI.pdf

It's just a simple system for me, really.

1. The shopcart everyone is talking about: photo 1.jpg

2. My plywood rack with a UHMW floor and a conveyor roller off the front to help slide the sheets in. photo 2.jpg
    (Sorry about the sideways photos; it's an iPhone/message board bug, and it's way too late for me to bother fixing it. I'm sure you get the idea. If not, please rotate your computer monitor clockwise 90º. Thanks.)

3. This thing makes breaking down the sheets a tad easier. Granted, it's a little pricy, but it does come in handy! ;-) photo 3.jpg
    4. And when all else fails, one of these is handy to have as well... It has no discs to compress! photo 4.jpg

K

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nathanson View Post
    It's just a simple system for me, really.

K
    How big is your shop?
    Is it a hobbyist shop or commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Larry,

I don't know about what you can make. I have a Shop Cart, that does as Jamie says. I pull the sheets of my truck onto the cart, tilt the cart, and move them into the shop. Once in the shop you can put the sheets in lumber storage, or keep them on the cart. When I want to cut a full sheet of ply, I roll my cart over to my saw, lock the cart, tilt the ply flat, and slide it through the saw. No lifting involved... It really helps handling sheet goods.

The carts are on the pricey side. However, it sure makes handling sheet goods a lot easier. I also use it a lot as an assembly table.

Sam
    Is this a Hafele or is there another brand available?