Thread: Can't remember how to solve this one....

Can't remember how to solve this one....

I do maybe one cabinet job every 2-3 years and today I was setting drawers. All good until I got to this one. Trash pullout made from scratch with two full extension drawer slides. Left side lacks about 3/16 to close all the way, right side closes fine. Thought about moving the slides but I only want to do it once if I can help it. Anyone have the solution handy?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Something is probably out of square.

The full extension slides I've used have no adjustments; I just install them with the front end flush with the face frame or with the side of the cabinet. I don't know a solution other than to move it in the amount to make it fit (3/16).

Brent, you need to move the rear mounting point of the guides to the right on the back of the cabinet.
    If the door is narrower than the depth of the cabinet the amount you move the rear of the guides will be less than the gap you have.
    Sometimes it is just trial & error.

I normally make a three piece sleeve (2 sides and a nailer) and mount the slides on that. Then the front of the slide is mounted to the faceframe, and the back(nailer) of the sleeve can be adjusted left/right, up/down to make the drawer front align with the face.

Clear as mud?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Brent VanFossen View Post
    The full extension slides I've used have no adjustments; I just install them with the front end flush with the face frame or with the side of the cabinet. I don't know a solution other than to move it in the amount to make it fit (3/16).
    The slides I use have normal round mounting holes and two types of slots, a pair running up and down and pair running front to back. If you use the slots, then you can make small adjustments, at least along one axis of movement. I guess to really lock things down, you could put screws in the round holes once you had everything set.

Have you tried forcing it? Sometimes the slides get their inners out of sync with each other. Also check if carcass mounting locations are square and parallel with each other, and drawer also needs to be square.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    I do maybe one cabinet job every 2-3 years and today I was setting drawers. All good until I got to this one. Trash pullout made from scratch with two full extension drawer slides. Left side lacks about 3/16 to close all the way, right side closes fine. Thought about moving the slides but I only want to do it once if I can help it. Anyone have the solution handy?

Thanks in advance!
    Kelly, I'd just move the slide, 'course I could be wrong. I really just wanted to say hi! How are you doing my brother?

I agree with Chris and Jim, when mounting the slides they must be parrallel and and level. If they are not parrallel and square to the face you will get binding or what you are seeing in that drawer you show. So as Chris and Jim have said you need to change the spacing in the back where the slides are mounted, because if they are at a skewed angle to the face one side of the drawer face hits the frame first and leaves the gap on the other side. Jim's approach is a good way to overcome any out of square or parallel when you get to installing the drawers, because no matter how hard we all try sometimes things get out of sync.

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Doing well Terry! How are you my friend?
    I think you and Chris nailed it. That move makes good sense and I will try it Monday. Thanks!

Thanks Jeff, got a gut feeling the right side needs moving. Going to remove the 'nailer' I have behind the slide and thin it out a bit in back. Got a feeling the case isn't square after careful eyeing today.