Thread: Best carving knives

Best carving knives

I need to do some wood carving on my current project, and am starting to carve my own pulls and other accents. I need to get a few carving knives. I like to buy tools once, so I get as high quality as possible. Can someone recommend the best knife carving set (price not an option), and what are the 3-5 basic knives that are used most.

Thanks!!

Darrell

I never use a knife for wood carving regardless of the projects I do but I have heard that Denny ( shipley) and Helvie knives are good. Since I've never used them I can't say which are better or what shape to suggest. I'm not sure what type of accents you plan on carving on the furniture but knives might be limited to chip type carving which is a slightly different type of knife than a whittling type blade. Then again I just might be imagining the wrong carvings compared to what you have in mind.
    The Woodworking Studio

If you show the type of carving you want to do someone will be happy to give you info. Please show the patterns that would like to use.

qualitycarvingsupplies.com has several carving knives for different types of carving. The ones I like the best are Flexcut.
    Dick

This is a fairly old thread but I'd like to chime in with my vote for Warren Tools. They make a good knife handle and a good selection of blades for carving that take and hold a good edge.

Excelsior,
    Ted