Thread: Thanks to Jeff Nicol!

Thanks to Jeff Nicol!

I got home today a little early, and there was a flat rate box on the porch. Since I haven't ordered anything, I assumed it was clothes for my little girl... My wife's addiction! When I saw Jeff Nicol's name on the box and felt how heavy it was, I was doubly excited... First, my wife hadn't ordered more clothes, and second, I just got a box of wood! A nice selection of spalted maple with a few really colorful box elder pen blanks! Thanks to Jeff for the wonderful and unexpected surprise!

Jeff-Nicol.jpg

Cool! That Jeff is an alright guy!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Looks like some shop time is in order now.

4. Kudos to Jeff! That will make some nice HF's David!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dave, I bet the wife said thanks too but more with an eyeroll and hint of sarcasm (thanks, now ive lost my hubby...AGAIN!). Cool stuff!

Congrats. Jeff is first rate for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice looking spalted maple. When its good its great, and this looks like the good stuff! Great surprise from a great guy!

Looks like a nice surprise, some nice looking blanks there! That Jeff is a heck of a guy!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

David, I am glad the box got to you, I have been moving around pretty slow the last month or so with my back being in worse shape than I thought it was, so I have been moping around in the shop cleaning and boxing up stuff that needs to go out, for a couple small wood orders. I had some severe pains up the back of my right leg just before hunting and for a couple weeks after so I finally went in to see what was going on. Well it turns out I have 3 bulging and deteriorating discs, severe arthritis and the Spondilolithesis (disc pushed out forward) I have had for 30 years and all of it it in my lower back. So needless to say it has not been the greatest start to the new year, but I keep pluggin along and doing what I love and doing a lot of reading and thinking, designing in my head with ice and heat on my back when needed.

So on to now I am feeling a bit better, but with the nerves being irritated I get stiffened up sooner than I used too, sure is no fun getting old! But I have made great progress on the shop and will have one area completly clear of turning wood and blanks soon, there are a couple more "Bomb" boxes ready to go in the shop so somebody will get a surprise like Mr.Keller! I have so much wood that it may as well go to some that can use it quicker than I can, and I have a bunch of silver maple to go get and hauled to the shed so I can get it cut up on the sawmill for easy handling. I is a bunch of 4-7 foot tall stumps that were left on a buddies land after a timber harvest a few years ago. I got a couple a year ago and they had some very nice figure and the spalting was just getting started, they are all still standing so I will get a couple of helper to so the heavy stuff and my buddy has a nice 4x4 kubota to get the wood to the trailer. Always work to do for the crippled guy!

Thanks for all the kind words and keep your eyes peeled for a box from nowhere!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Funny, all the boxes I've had on my doorstep that were sent by Jeff have been full of METAL!!!!!!!!

David, that's a nice spread of blanks you got there. Have fun with them.
    I drink, therefore I am.

What a great surprise - beautiful wood.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Jeff, life definitely isn't fair to reward your hard work and generosity as it has with the back troubles. I'm really sorry to hear that but hope you are able to mend somewhat and then concentrate on avoiding future problems/complications. A reminder of just how fragile we all are.
    You do great work and are a steady source of inspiration to alot of us. We have a demo later this month on building steady rests...and I'm bringing mine (of your design) to show others how a "man's" steady rest is made!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Jeff, how does a newbie like me get a surprise box??

Ricc