Thread: Black Finish Options

Black Finish Options

Hey Guys,
    I am building a bunch of picture frames all of which I want to paint black. I am trying to decide which product to use. I am looking for a solid, durable, opaque finish. Would like a satin sheen.

Here are a couple options I found so far:

Milk Paint - General finishes looks to be a good option
    Waterborne Enamel - Have used Muralo before and liked it but couldn't find it in black
    Black Lacquer - was looking at the EMTECH EM6600 deep black lacquer

The only one above that I have used is the Muralo. Does anyone have any recommendations on these or anything else for a solid black finish?

Thanks for your help.

People here have had great luck with tinted lacquer. If you can spray that's the easiest I guess.

If you cannot find it reasonably, then I had great luck brushing on flat enamel and then spraying deft satin lacquer on top.

I used ML Campbell's Maganamax. I'm doing a whole house in satin black right now. They add black to the clear satin. Magnamax also has a white pigmented base to which they can make black. I use the pigmented base for all other colors. Black (and white) can work both ways.

Mike,
    I added Mixol to EM6000 to get a solid black finish. With the first couple of coats, it allows the grain lines to show(if the wood has prominent grain lines), further coats build up and then you can polish to a "piano finish" if you like. I know target has since come out with their EM6000 already tinted. I can't speak to that as I had already done the project a year earlier.
    Jim

IMG_0380.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Mike,
    I added Mixol to EM6000 to get a solid black finish. With the first couple of coats, it allows the grain lines to show(if the wood has prominent grain lines), further coats build up and then you can polish to a "piano finish" if you like. I know target has since come out with their EM6000 already tinted. I can't speak to that as I had already done the project a year earlier.
    Jim

IMG_0380.jpg
    Jim, thats a fabulous looking chest, do you happen to have any more photos?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Jeff,
    Thanks. Here is a link to the post about the bedside tables. Plenty of pictures.
    The design is not for everyone, but they have proven to be "very practical" for the bedside.
    Jim

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...les&highlight=

Maybe not for the purist, but Krylon spray paint worked really well for me before I had a spray gun. Still use it for small projects. Comes in satin, semi-gloss, etc.. Prime if you want first. Topcoat with clear if you want, but I never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Jeff,
    Thanks. Here is a link to the post about the bedside tables. Plenty of pictures.
    The design is not for everyone, but they have proven to be "very practical" for the bedside.
    Jim

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...les&highlight=
    Thanks Jim, very nice project! I will try tint some laquer on my next black project.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Leather dye
    Alcohol based non grain raising stain
    Gesso

All of the above should be top coated..

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

I'd likely use the Target product because that's what I'd be using if it were getting clear coated or white. I haven't use the black version, but wouldn't hesitate to try it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...