Thread: Curley Maple HF

Curley Maple HF

A friend has access to discarded veneer logs. Every so often he knocks on my door with a couple them. In this case Curley Maple. It was interesting hollowing this out. I had to follow the curve of the top which created real issues on the outside end grain. Because I had to leave the endgrain thick I got checking on each end. . African Blackwood finial, 6" x 7". Comments and critique welcome.DSCN0481 (482 x 600).jpg
    I turn, therefore I am

Aside from the checking issues and the obvious "top heavy" situation, the style looks great!

I like that , a cross between natural edge and hollow form with finial. Curious how you made the transition from finial to log face.

Around here people refer to what remains after the veneer process as "peeler cores". Unfortunately no hardwoods (I wish) and they are often treated with preservative and used for fence posts.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Aside from the checking issues and the obvious "top heavy" situation, the style looks great!
    John, Actually, the wood is so light that you don't really notice the weight being in the shoulder and it really isn't tippy at all. Just the dang checks
    I turn, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    I like that , a cross between natural edge and hollow form with finial. Curious how you made the transition from finial to log face.

Around here people refer to what remains after the veneer process as "peeler cores". Unfortunately no hardwoods (I wish) and they are often treated with preservative and used for fence posts.
    Hayes, the finial was countoured into the face using a Dremel sanding disc and by hand....all sanding. Boy, did I go through 200 grit sand discs on the blackwood.
    I turn, therefore I am

That's a really nice piece....I like that you cheated on doing the top using contour of log. Sure looks easier to execute than the biaxial cherry that Mark Cothren did! Well done!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Looks interesting!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

A neat top with the curve. Sounds like a lot of sanding for sure!

Hi Dick,

I always assumed that maple veneer cores would be too pithy to work with but your project looks great. Was the core all heartwood or is it just stained sapwood?

I like it Dick and the from is just makes it. Interesting piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Keeping the natural curve is a super idea..very appealing
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

really cool looking piece