Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First turning on the 1642

First turning on the 1642

Time for lunch and I have to find a wrench big enough to change the thread adapter on the chuck so Ill give you guys some pics of the first bowl on the 1642. What a learning curve I DESPERATELY need to join club and get me a edumacation. But anyway here it is. Cherry that came down this past fall in the hurricane. First time turning green what a treat, first time turning any thing bigger than a goblet, and first time turning anything but a pen, tea lights or something small in over 10 years.

You are well on your way Brian. Just remember to show us the finished product too.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Cool Brian...that piece even has some burl eyes in it...excellent! Looking forward to seeing more. Have fun and stay safe!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Looking good so far! If you plan on leaving the wood on the lathe for any length of time - throw a plastic bag over it to trap in the moisture and keep the piece from checking. That - or spritz it with water every once in a while just to keep portions of it from drying out before you are finished.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Lots of firsts with this one!!! Sure has potential - keep us posted on progress.

6. Looks as if you have a good start going on that one Brian.............are you making a large bowl? Looks like you are at the point of putting a tenon on the end so you can mount it to a chuck. Good luck with the project, and let us see the final product when you get it finished!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Well I guess I don't have a 1-1/4-Inch 8TPI adapter for the chuck god bless amazon and 3.99 one day shipping. To be continued in a day or 2!

Congrats on a great start! Like Steve said, stick that roughout in a plastic bag until you are ready to go again!

Hi Brian,I think the 1642 comes with the same live center as my 3520B. If so, you can remove the conical nose. This will leave more room for turning the tenon. I only use the conical nose when turning something with a hole bored in it.Cheers,

I love to see "Work in progress" pics. Especially with a new lathe. Keep us posted with more pics.

EVIL amazon being lazy and didn't send out the adapter till today!

You're my kind of turner... Start turning then figure out that you don't have everything you need! That sounds like something I'd do! Congrats on breaking in the new lathe... Looking forward to seeing it finished up!

Brian, what an exciting time! The 1642 is a great lathe. It will do a great job for you. Looks like you got it round, that's the hard part.

Yeah! Fun huh? Do wrap that dude up with a plastic bag though, I would hate to see you loose it to a crack.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nothing much more exciting than gettin' that baby dirty for the first time. Nice chunck of cherry to start off with, not that you have'nt heard it enough, but do make sure you keep it from drying. Looking forward to see it completed.