Thread: Yin-Yang Bowl

Yin-Yang Bowl

Yin-Yang inspired bowl made from Sweet Gum. Design incorporates a series of three of the teardrop shaped symbols that form Yin-Yang chained around the bowl rather than interlocked. Finished with Bush Oil. Around 7" (18 cm) across. Made this as a public demo at The Woodworking Show when it came to West Springfield MA. Currently a matte finish, trying to decide if it should have a more gloss finish. My first turning of 2012.

Got the basic idea here from someone who recently posted a hollow form with a single teardrop

Yin Yang Bowl 01.jpg
    Last edited by Eric Holmquist; 01-18-2012 at 7:41 PM. Reason: Moved photo, got inlined incorectly

I like this Eric! Shape is pleasing and the size make it a little faster to finish, for those of us with turning ADD!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Very nice Eric. I don't have the patience you do.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Lotta work in this one!! Nice piece, Eric. I just turned a sweet gum platter and I hope the color is as nice as your bowl when finished.

Very nice work. I like the patterns you chose for the piercings.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Great job. I like the patterns!

Very nice, Eric. I bought an entire piercing setup some time ago and it is still in the box! Youe bowl makes me want to actually open it up now.

Sure a great looking piece Eric. Am I seeing pencil lines on the inside or is that something else?

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Really nice Eric.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks great Eric! I think it would look good with a satin finish.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I agree with Kathy, satin. IMO, that piece wouldn't look as good glossy..............

And very nice form, by the way...........

R
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

astounding work!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks everyone, this was a lot of fun to make. I had been on vacation, away from my shop for six weeks, so it was extra fun to get back in my shop and make something. Doing almost all the piercing as a public demonstration was a bit distracting, but quite fun. I had several people interested in the technique and some of them may join one of the two AAW chapters that were sharing a 20x30 space at the show.

Nate - I actually don't find that this sort of thing takes a lot of patience, it is fairly theraputic. I enjoy doing it, and while working on it, I have to really focus on the task at hand, and all the rest of the world fades away for a while.

John - This is actually the blandest piece of Sweet Gum that I have ever turned, so you should get great results with your platter. For some reason, I've never had much success with Sweet Gum platters. All the Sweet Gum I turn is still green, and for some reason the platters all crack on me, I rarely have that problem with bowls. For some reason, Sweet Gum moves on me more than any other wood as it dries.

Jim - The small size did help, I did 95% of the piercing at the show while talking to folks walking by and showing them how to do the technique. I was at the show for 16 hours, and was left with maybe 10 minutes of piercing to finish that aspect of the piece at home.

Robert - Time for you to break out the piercing tool and put it to good use!

Sid - The lines are woodburned, I often use a skew / spear tip on the woodburner to provide crisp lines around my designs.

Kathy / Richard - I think you are right, satin will work better with this piece, the matte is too flat, and gloss would be too much

Good looking bowl Eric! I agree with your idea of a satin finish - should look great!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like the piece and add me to the satin finish folks. Not sure my air tool has enough power to do something like that. Guess I need to find out cause that is nice.