Thread: Hot Melt Glue Guns

Hot Melt Glue Guns

I glue a lot of shipping boxes and cardboard mock-ups.
    I have a 30 year old 40 watt Stanley glue gun. It takes 4 minutes to heat up and drips like crazy. It does the job but is there a gun that heats fast, takes standard sticks and won't drip?

I found the 3M Scotch-Weld Hot Melt Applicator PG AE II at Amazon but it doesn't take standard 7/16" by 10" sticks. Anyone tried this one with standard sticks? http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld.../dp/B000MQNKQ8

Any glue gun recommendations?Thanks

I don't know of a particular gun, but if they are anything like soldering irons, if you can find one that rectifies the incoming AC into DC before using it to heat, it will be much much faster. My DC soldering irons are almost ready instantly.

We use those where I work they work pretty good heat up isn't real fast but not to bad.

Thanks for the replies. My power was down for a few days days so I just got back to work. Makes me think it would be nice to have a natural gas or propane glue gun!

I got the Harbor Freight # 95939 gun for $15 with a coupon. My initial tests with it went great. About 2 minute warm-up and barely a drip when you let off the trigger. Just what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My power was down for a few days days so I just got back to work. Makes me think it would be nice to have a natural gas or propane glue gun!
    one problem with glue guns is that the glue cools too quick so I use a pistol grip solder gun on one gluing job to reheat the glue and spread it out, I believe that you could use a solder tip on a propane torch if you kept the flame away from the inside corners on paper or wood and kept your hand away from the flame while you feed the glue stick to the heat copper BUT I RECOMMENDED THE PISTOL GRIP GUN FIRST

To keep a glue gun from dripping, it helps to pull back slightly on the glue stick before you set it down. If you are pushing it hard (which it sounds like you are) you will leave pressure in the stick when you set it down. hence the drips. Relive that pressure and it won't drip.

It sounds like you need a glue gun with temperature control feedback of some kind (ie thermostat). I have never seen such a beast, though.